Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the river again to see if things had improved. Unfortunately not. A few more scattered blow ups but nothing really biting. We worked road runners, Mepps spinners and even a Little George but only managed one 11" sandie. No outward sign of spawning yet. Plan is to keep going down each afternoon to see what is happening. Hopefully it will pick up soon. We are debating trying to hit Reimers or the San Gabriel above Lake Georgetown this weekend assuming the rains aren't too bad..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went down to the river again to see if things had improved. Unfortunately not. A few more scattered blow ups but nothing really biting. We worked road runners, Mepps spinners and even a Little George but only managed one 11" sandie. No outward sign of spawning yet. Plan is to keep going down each afternoon to see what is happening. Hopefully it will pick up soon. We are debating trying to hit Reimers or the San Gabriel above Lake Georgetown this weekend assuming the rains aren't too bad..
Is the water still muddy at the bridge? I went up in my boat just after the freeze, and the river was very muddy starting at Willie's old camp. I only went to the high lines because the water was getting shallow. Any idea how deep the river is at the bridge?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agarita - yes the water is still fairly murky And I was standing in calf deep water at the first bridge piling in the river (from the left if you are coming up river) casting towards the second one and it was not very deep. Past the bridge there is still fair water in Lick creek but not much beyond that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last time I was at Reimer's ranch (Feb. 28 2021) I walked all the way to highway 71 on the river bed. About half way (1.5 miles from Reimer's) there are plastic pipes coming to the river and then the water quality starts to decline. What were sandy river banks and clearish water turns into stinky sludge and murky water. In other words, I recommend that you wait until the white bass are at Reimer's and go fishing in that area rather than at 71 for a better experience. (p.s. on Feb 28 I caught 4 crappie at one spot, but no white bass anywhere).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the report - definitely explains the different in water quality from Johnson City to Hwy. 71. Sounds like I need to make a journey down stream from Reimers and find these pipes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last time I was at Reimer's ranch (Feb. 28 2021) I walked all the way to highway 71 on the river bed. About half way (1.5 miles from Reimer's) there are plastic pipes coming to the river and then the water quality starts to decline. What were sandy river banks and clearish water turns into stinky sludge and murky water. In other words, I recommend that you wait until the white bass are at Reimer's and go fishing in that area rather than at 71 for a better experience. (p.s. on Feb 28 I caught 4 crappie at one spot, but no white bass anywhere).
Does not sound good. LCRA could be interested in this, so I submitted your observations to them for review.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I submitted your observations to LCRA. It appears that they did not check the section above 71 bridge that you mentioned. Their reply is below:
__
Thank you for contacting LCRA.

Water Quality Protection staff recently investigated the area you referenced, from the mouth of the Pedernales River at its confluence with Lake Travis to about 7 miles upstream where the transmission highline crosses the river. The river appeared dark green, but the water itself appeared clear with no noticeably murky areas. There were no unusual odors.

Staff observed several water intake lines, but did not see any discharges into the river.

We will continue to monitor routine water quality sampling results from the Pedernales River. We would also note that water quality conditions can change daily from things like precipitation and wind, and sometimes when the river is low, boat traffic can stir up silt into the water column more easily.

We appreciate the information and observations you submitted. If you see conditions that give you concern in the future, please let us know. Photos are also helpful, if they can be safely taken.
__

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice of them to stop about a mile and a half short of where you told them and this water is not even close to being clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts