Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the grandkids yesterday late afternoon and they were full of piss and vinegar to do something. I got them busy outside helping me turn over the garden beds and they started collecting worms that were dug up. I like them in my garden so I had to try and slow them down which didn't really work. So I offered to take them down to the river to fish. Santa had given each one of them a Spiderman or Batman fishing pole so they were excited to go try them out. With a small container of worms in hand we went down to what was left of the river. I took them under the bridge, the only semi-real water left it seems and we tossed out two lines baited with worms. Both bobbers took a nose dive pretty quick and they each caught a little brim. Now they were excited - always better to go catching instead of fishing. Over the next 30 minutes they each caught 5-6 more brim - just enough action to keep them interested. The rock throwing was just getting started when the youngest ones bobber took off upriver. I think it would have pulled him along but the drag (if you can call it that) was made of plastic and line was heading out quickly. He/we played it briefly and I am pretty sure it was a gar. The line quickly broke before the reel did and everyone was back on board now so I retied his line and we fished until dark but with nothing else to show for it. I have fished a lot down here but these boys always seem to find the gar with these dang plastic rigs. I am going to have to talk to Santa about getting them better gear next year. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had the grandkids yesterday late afternoon and they were full of piss and vinegar to do something. I got them busy outside helping me turn over the garden beds and they started collecting worms that were dug up. I like them in my garden so I had to try and slow them down which didn't really work. So I offered to take them down to the river to fish. Santa had given each one of them a Spiderman or Batman fishing pole so they were excited to go try them out. With a small container of worms in hand we went down to what was left of the river. I took them under the bridge, the only semi-real water left it seems and we tossed out two lines baited with worms. Both bobbers took a nose dive pretty quick and they each caught a little brim. Now they were excited - always better to go catching instead of fishing. Over the next 30 minutes they each caught 5-6 more brim - just enough action to keep them interested. The rock throwing was just getting started when the youngest ones bobber took off upriver. I think it would have pulled him along but the drag (if you can call it that) was made of plastic and line was heading out quickly. He/we played it briefly and I am pretty sure it was a gar. The line quickly broke before the reel did and everyone was back on board now so I retied his line and we fished until dark but with nothing else to show for it. I have fished a lot down here but these boys always seem to find the gar with these dang plastic rigs. I am going to have to talk to Santa about getting them better gear next year. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the sound of this report seems like Reimers will be a no go this year for white bass unless we get a significant change in the dry weather pattern which is unlikely? Flow rate on the pedernales at Johnson City is pretty darn low.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have been going to the Pedernales in Johnson City and the bass fishing below the dam is great most of the time and the water above the dam was pretty good from a kayak. that being said, yes our ramp at Hwy 71 doesn't have enough water to launch let alone ride up river to find whites. I imagine they will still "run" up river but I doubt it will be as far as Reimers. If I am really lucky they will be running up to Lick Creek and I can take that long 2 minute drive from my house to the river to catch them. Otherwise pray for rain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts