Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full day exploring the Pedernales. Since the wind was going to be from the SW we launched at our Hwy 71 ramp and paddled up river so we would have the wind and the current behind us as we fished our way back. On the water at 7AM, we paddled and portaged for about 90 minutes, occasionally casting at something good looking or some swirl in the water. Water is pretty low but there are a lot of stretches with good water in them and river is still flowing. Staked out at 8:45 and had pulled pork breakfast tacos (have two whole hogs on the smoker for the big game) and coffee. We began working our way back down river working the deeper water pockets and bluffs. Sun came out around 10:30 but the wind turned in our face. Boy did that make the fishing harder on the way back - I am getting too old for this. We were mainly throwing jigs and square bill crank baits although we worked drop shots and ned rigs through out. We also tossed small silver slabs off and on to check for any sand bass. Wind made it tough to move and fish and it was hard to keep a tight line but we had some luck and ended the day with 16 cutie-pies, 2 fun fish and one good-un amongst the four of us. Also caught 3 crappie and one lost sand bass in the process. Don led the way with 12 of those fish. Blake and I each had 5 (Blake had the good-un and we both had a fun fish) and poor Curt said he just went along for the breakfast tacos and workout. I was able to land another bass on the ned rig so that was a positive as well. Long day on the water, we beached at the ramp just after 3:30. Not sure I will get any fishing done today as I have a lot of cooking to do. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, sometimes these young kids can definitely ruin your day. No fishing Sunday - had a smoker full of meat and a whole hog that needed tending. I was telling the kids about my yak trip on Saturday. They were asking about all of the spots we found, where we caught bass, etc...Apparently i of them was taking off work today and decided to borrow my yak's so he and a friend could fish. They kept asking me about specifics related to each spot. Being part of the older generation I gave them excellent landmarks to find each spot. Then they asked me if I was wearing my watch. I had a knee replaced a while back and they bought this "smart watch" to help me do something.....frustrate me normally .... dang thing beeps and buzzes all the time. And "Smart watch"??? I think not. I told them it can't be very smart since I was sitting on my butt most of the day paddling or fishing from the kayak but I got like 20,000 steps in for paddling and cranking a reel. Anyway I digress. When I confirmed that I had in fact been wearing my watch they asked me to send them my coordinates. At least that is what I think they - who knows when they start talking about technology. Anyway, apparently this watch has a built in GPS that they would have used to mark each spot and allow themselves to return to the exact spot. Oh and apparently you can send those coordinates to other people you like and they can go fish you spots as well. To bad I don't like them enough to send them to those spots. I use computers all day in my work and I thought I was pretty well versed in all of this but apparently I am way behind the times. Now I have to get the darn manual out to figure out how to mark coordinates while fishing. Might actually come in handy I guess.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir. Benefit of having a 28' smoker on a double axle trailer...at least for a while anyway. About to sell it and buy a boat I think.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surprisingly JC, we still have a little left. Maybe we need to figure out some place we can all meet and have a fish fry some time. I am pretty sure Jeremy can put enough fish in the boat to feed us and I would be more than happy to cook.

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
I’m thinking of going to The Steps for some sand bass here in the next couple weeks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK that is a start Jeremy. Now I wonder how many of us would show up somewhere for a fish fry? And would you actually need any help catching enough fish to feed us all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts