Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not take it any more. Time to start practicing my casting again. Loaded up the gear and headed to Johnson City and the river. Paid my $5 at the gate and drove to the back of the Pedernales Nature Center then walked down to the river. Water was running higher than my last visit but was surprisingly clear given the recent rains. First cast at 15:10 and immediately hooked a gaspergoo on a small jig/BBH trailer. I figured it was game on but the next 40 minutes were spent practicing my casting. I had tossed TR, drop shot, spinners and jigs. I even tried top water and a Carolina rig. Nothing. I had already worked up to the dam and back down so I headed downstream to try my luck for the remaining time I had. About 150 yards past the fence I found a large pool with deeper water, multiple feeds coming in and out and it just looked fishy as h3ll. I was back tossing the small watermelon colored baby jig with a BBH trailer and after less than a dozen casts I had my first bass. If you have not had the pleasure of catching bass in a river you should really try it. They are strong and put up a great fight, especially using the current. In the next 30+ minutes I caught 4 cutie pies and 2 fun fish. Mixture of LMB and Guadalupes. The bite was slowing down near the end so I switched to a drop shot and started working the shoots where the water was coming in. 4th cast and it was on like donkey kong to borrow a Jeremy phrase. This bass danced and fought and took out line several times. Easily an upper end good-un - but I will never know. About 20 feet away from me she came up one more time to shake her head and my hook and weight came sailing back at me. I quickly got the worm back into the shoot and eventually caught 2 more fun fish but nothing else. It was getting darker so I reeled up and started back to the car. On my way out I decided to make a few casts at this little pond that sits inside the park but drains into the river. I had tried it a few times before with no luck - only brim I have been told but it looks like great water. I worked the drop shot around the pond for maybe two dozen casts when my line took off due left. Not wanting a repeat of earlier, I reeled down and then set the hook hard. Immediately the drag began to complain and this fish began to head back to the right towards a downed tree laying in the water. I applied more pressure than I really wanted but was able to at least turn it back to the middle. From the bend in my rod I knew this was a nice fish and it was putting up a real fight. But it wasn't the right kind of fight. I was worried about it coming up and sending the hook back in my face but it never made a run for the surface. Some of my initial excitement began to fade as I contemplated what was on my line. Sure enough, a few minutes later I had a really nice 4lb. channel cat. Oh well, at least we had fish for dinner last night. Keep your lines tight and have a blessed day. And Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I love hearing about your adventures. I wish I had your legs. I need to get out more for wade and bank fishing. With this blue norther hitting, bank fishing may be my best option.

That good-un you lost, made me think of Bill’s friend Kay, if you see.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeremy. Had to get a right knee replacement to be able to get down there but it is pretty easy once you get to the water. Still waiting to get the other one replaced. And yes Bill's friend came to mind along with a few of her friends. But at least I got to feel something on my line after a long drought. We had a trip planned for this morning with momma and son-in-laws. We were hoping the fake weather was fake but stepping out there this morning confirmed it is a deer hunting morning instead. If you decide to bank fish use google map to search the area around you. You will be amazed how many fishable waters there are hidden around town.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts