Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 2 days I fished & Skunk, which never happens to me. I threw everything, and Nada.
I noticed an unusual amount of Alligator Gar in the Lake and they were even crusing right up to my Kayak.
Does anyone know why there are so many Gar in Lake Travis right now?

· Registered
10,698 Posts
+4 on the gar (and carp) spawning resulting in increased visibilty.

Most of these gar are probably needlenose and spotted gar, although I have seen a few alligator gars in Travis, some upwards of 7-8 ft.

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think it's the gar affecting your fishing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have caught plenty of bass amongst the gar this time of year. Of course, I end up catching my fair share of gar as well, but I don't think the bass are all that intimidated by them.

· Registered
37 Posts
i fish travis almost everyday. There have always been a ton of gar and carp. The gar and carp dont affect ur fishing. Right now lake travis is on fire for bass fishing. Almost every afternoon i go out and hook into at least 20 fish in 2-3 hours, sometimes over 40 fish. it is spawn for the gar and its time to pull out the bow fishing gear.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60786369620A0 said:
i fish travis almost everyday. There have always been a ton of gar and carp.  The gar and carp dont affect ur fishing.  Right now lake travis is on fire for bass fishing.  Almost every afternoon i go out and hook into at least 20 fish in 2-3 hours, sometimes over 40 fish.  it is spawn for the gar and its time to pull out the bow fishing gear.  

NEXT time you catch 20-40 fish post a picture & show me, I'm not into fish stories, still believe in "SEEING IS BELIEVING"

· Registered
410 Posts
There are many days you can go out to travis and have 20- 40 fish days and even more numbers than that. Usually most of them are not picture worthy! Went out theres yesterday and prob had 50 fish all day long but none that where worth a pic!!

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Roofish, it all just depends on what you count as a "fish." ;D I've come to find that most of the time when people say they caught that many fish on Travis, most of those fish are guadalupes and largemouths almost all under 14". That's not always the case, but often times it is. Personally, when I am reporting how many fish I caught...I'm only counting keepers (over 14"). If I go out there and catch 10 fish all under 14"...I might as well have gotten skunked. It's all just personal perception really. And yes when counting everything caught...20-40 fish on Travis isn't uncommon.

· Registered
27 Posts
I had 15-17lbs. this afternoon, with one close to 6lbs. Burning a compact 1/2 oz. spinnerbait along the bank. The males moved up yesterday and today I caught several females to go with 'em. It's as good as I've seen it RIGHT NOW. Get out there!

· Registered
21 Posts
I put in at Mansfield for the last couple hours of daylight and just fished some nearby creeks. I saw a lot of beds in the shallows, and a lot of males guarding them, but didn't see any females locked on. Did catch quite a few bass pitching off the first drop but nothing to brag about as far as size......... and yea, I agree with most on here. I don't think the carp/gar affect the bass. The only suggestion I would have for you is to target more backs of creeks, and with the clearer water try making longer casts.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I must be doing something wrong, senkos, jigs, cranks, topwaters? & I'm fishing them pretty slow and working an area really hard due to the fact I fish from a Kayak?

Also I've had days where I catch 10, but I've never caught 20-40 fish on Travis of any size & I've been fishing travis hard for 3 yrs from my Kayak, mostly Northside of Lake.

· Registered
1,789 Posts
7D404049465C472F0 said:
[quote author=60786369620A0 link=1269963421/0#8 date=1269977198]i fish travis almost everyday. There have always been a ton of gar and carp. The gar and carp dont affect ur fishing. Right now lake travis is on fire for bass fishing. Almost every afternoon i go out and hook into at least 20 fish in 2-3 hours, sometimes over 40 fish. it is spawn for the gar and its time to pull out the bow fishing gear.

NEXT time you catch 20-40 fish post a picture & show me, I'm not into fish stories, still believe in "SEEING IS BELIEVING"[/quote]

I'm pretty surprised you'd say something like that. I recall your "fish story" in which you said you caught something that probably coulda been a sharealunker or something like that but didn't have a camera... ::)

· Registered
37 Posts
you can catch 20-40 fish a day pretty much any day. but yesterday i only had 2 of them go over 2lbs. there are a ton of small fish and they are easy to catch. I throw a lot of flukes, zoom trick worms, zoom finesse worms, rattlesnakes and a lot of drop shots with tiny flukes. Always spike the tail. Ive been catching a lot of bed fish lately. 4 days ago I caught a 23 incher female that was spawned out. just waiting for the females of the 2nd wave to move up

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
150D1210200 said:
[quote author=7D404049465C472F0 link=1269963421/0#9 date=1269981842][quote author=60786369620A0 link=1269963421/0#8 date=1269977198]i fish travis almost everyday. There have always been a ton of gar and carp.  The gar and carp dont affect ur fishing.  Right now lake travis is on fire for bass fishing.  Almost every afternoon i go out and hook into at least 20 fish in 2-3 hours, sometimes over 40 fish.  it is spawn for the gar and its time to pull out the bow fishing gear.  

NEXT time you catch 20-40 fish post a picture & show me, I'm not into fish stories, still believe in "SEEING IS BELIEVING"[/quote]

I'm pretty surprised you'd say something like that. I recall your "fish story" in which you said you caught something that probably coulda been a sharealunker or something like that but didn't have a camera...  ::)[/quote]

Was'nt no fish story & I did catch that fish, as you may recall my camera had fallen in water at LHL, but I've never caught 20-40 fish on Travis

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.