Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - we just bought a Humminbird 998c SI fishfinder (and are SUPER excited about it, by the way!!!). Have yet to use it, but are hoping the weather holds up so we can go out this weekend.

Now that we have it, we are trying to get an idea of general opinions on which maps to buy for it, Navionics or LakeMaster?

We often fish Fayette, and it's not on LakeMaster, so that's one drawback of that one, right off the bat. But we would definitely be open to hearing feedback from experience with either one and reasons for preferences, especially from those in the Central Texas area.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Erica

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've always heard good things about the Navionics.......but I've also never heard bad things about the Lake Master chip...

If you go with the Navionics chip.....see if you can find a place that will give a discount on the purchase of 2....because I need/want one also.. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bought a Humminbird 6 months ago and got the Navionics chip. Incredible accuracy. I don't know anything about Lake Master, so comparison is not possible.

·
Banned
816 Posts
We have one 998si and it is unbelievable. Fish Fayette a lot. Go with navionics. It has every central texas lake and south like choke.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Lake Master has a couple of nice features like creek channels marked in red or pink, you can set the lake level so it shows the actual new shoreline instead of just shading the depth and you can adjust the colors of depth shading to better suit your eyes or light conditions.

Navionics is what I use and is very accurate. You can use the 998's shaded depth feature to set current lake level and it has a lot more local lakes than Lake Master.

Also check out Humminbird Side Imaging Forums and there are lots of Youtube videos by imonfish(doug) tha twill explain everything you need to know about both chips as well as using your 998.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info everyone - I think it's obvious the favorite is Navionics, so it looks like that's what we are going with. Now, the onus is on y'all if it sucks. haha, jk. In all seriousness though, thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts