Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will get moved, but when I joined this site 3 years ago, it was so informative. I was never a Potlicker,, but enjoyed finding what lakes were doing well and which ones were tough. I can understand why folks would not post exact spots or even parts of the lake, but there are very few reports at all. I post every time I go out,, and give as much specific info as possible, and while I respect those that feel they do not want to share information, it is vastly different than it was a few years ago. You would think the Classic was in the area every week.\

· Registered
2,167 Posts
I met up with a buddy the other day at Sandy Creek. I was there at sun up and caught a white bass on my first cast on a white rooster tail. I later caught a small carp on a live minnow. My buddy caught a small black bass followed by a 5lb. 8oz. black bass. It was huge. Both caught on plastic 6 inch worms, purple in color. We were fishing from shore and had a great time. Did not have a camera.

I normally only post reports when I catch fish and have a camera. I'm not too sure of the wind direction. It was in the 40's when I started and around 60 when we called it quits.

I ate a bunch of sunflower seeds when I was out there. My buddy ate nothing.

· Banned
5,438 Posts
Lake Austin

"Fished Lake Austin after work last night from 6:15-11.  Put in at Quinlan and fished grass lines on the north end.  Water temps were in the low 60's.  Boated 11 fish in 4-8 FOW fishing weightless plastics over the top of the grass.  Missed too many bites though.  Best 5 went for ~17-18 LBs, with the best being a hair under 7lbs.  My new PB actually.  I have put in so much time on the water since I started bass fishing 3 years ago, and I am finally starting to get some better bites."

[hr]

Decker

We had 8 teams fish. Everyone reported catching fish but not at the rate we all expected to. Most fish seemed to come off the main lake in front of the reeds on plastics wacky rigged. The creeks did not seem to be holding many fish, yet.

[hr]

Travis

Put in at Ark Bend this morning about 8:30. Started downlake fishing coves and ended up near Lakeway. We caught 28 total with only 6 or 7 that would have been keepers. Biggest fish was 4lb 7oz, but was 18.5" and had a much larger head than a 5lb fish. Caught fish on Cranks Wacky and most came on Shakey heads.

[hr]

G'town

Went out for about an hour and a half this evening and caught a limit of keepers on Georgetown. Of those 7 keepers, the best 5 would have gone about 2.0 lbs. Yes,, that is a DOT between the 2 and the zero,,LOL. I did also catch one 16.5" slot fish. All midget fish caught on flukes in the flooded brush, the slot fish came on a shakey head on a wind blown point

[hr]

Fayette

I was able to hit the water with some great people recently and put together some really great trips. For the most part Fayettes water temp is in the mid 60's with beds everywhere and some fish still remaining on them. For me on trips, those are not the fish I am targeting. If you pull out off the first stair you will find numbers of quality hungry fish holding to the first bit of cover they find. The best day has been 37 fish and the biggest one to come has been right around 7. The lures that have been working best for this have been a 1/2oz LFT MPACK jig with a baby hyper freak as the trailer, Phenix Vibrator Jig with a LFT LMS and a finesse worm wacky rigged with LFT's new wacky weight system.

[hr]

All pulled from the last week to ten days or so, and one of those was yours...  

Yep, not too much detail...seems like everybody is hiding the good stuff. ::)

Seriously, what is missing from those reports that you think should be seen?

· Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I agree with TDub, the reports actually seem more detailed in some cases than they use to be. Complaints about not giving up info, or sharing every piece of info have just surfaced by a few newer members that feel like people are hiding something or others are revealing too much.

If you notice most of the people that complain about it have less than 15 posts and haven't been on the site more than 2 weeks and want to rant.

Being a public forum everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no doubt, it's just the nature of the beast sometimes.

· Registered
3,688 Posts
6C74604F554E4F4841405251260 said:
I agree with TDub, the reports actually seem more detailed in some cases than they use to be. Complaints about not giving up info, or sharing every piece of info have just surfaced by a few newer members that feel like people are hiding something or others are revealing too much.

If you notice most of the people that complain about it have less than 15 posts and haven't been on the site more than 2 weeks and want to rant.

Being a public forum everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no doubt, it's just the nature of the beast sometimes.
"Potlicker" ;D

I agree with both of you. I have not been posting any reports because I have not been catching very many fish or it was not worth a report in my eyes.

Chris

· Registered
5,343 Posts
Just by cruising the site for a short amount of time I learned (well kinda already knew) that if I want to catch black bass, flip beds on LA, if I want white bass, try blue hole. I just posted a pond report and some might think, what use is that? Well my post informs that bass are most likely pre-spawn still just north of here. Also that cranks on a wind blown shoreline can be a good tactic when bass fishing. Someone might have learned something.. I think there are decent amounts of reports being posted, and that most every post has info if you read into it, even if it is vague on location and tactics

· Registered
140 Posts
I don't post very often (as you can tell by my post count) and maybe I'm not very smart, but what exactly more do folks want out of the reports? This site has always been a wealth of information from people who really enjoy this sport. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.....who knows!

· Registered
2,271 Posts
I rarely post reports on-line anymore for some of the reasons already mentioned. Basically, you just can't win, you will always end up getting the messages from guys who are pissed because you gave too much info...or pissed because you aren't giving enough. Just kind of have to ignore it, but ya know. On that note...I will be fishing LBJ on Saturday. I'll try to remember to post a report.

· Registered
21 Posts
I think you have many different types of anglers who read, post, etc. on this site. Some anglers may have just had the best day of their life on the water and want to share that experience with their fellow fisherman. Some have been on a good pattern and want to share their techniques so others can enjoy the same experience, some may have just caught their personal best and simply post a picture. I'm not a big poster, but I enjoy all posts on here wether it's simply a picture of a 9 pounder without any info or a report of catching a few fish along with detailed info and feel we are fortunate to have dedicated guys in the Austin area to run a site such as abf. If you don't like it, don't visit it.

· Registered
146 Posts
22011313341201030B0512600 said:
Tournament season is upon us. When its over I'll tell you all about it. where it happened. But the results can be see at TTZ1.com

Sorry man, just cant give up my money spot just yet.   :)

Haha would you like me to tell everyone where your money spot is???

Haha just messing with you man I would never do that. Good luck on it tonight wish I was able to make it.

· Registered
139 Posts
I think Potlicker is my new favorite word. I am going to see if I can getaway with using it as a new term of endearment for my wife. I will let you all know how well that goes.

I think that if you are going to make a post about your awesome fishing you should automatically be entitled to take me out on your boat to your spot and let me use your gear and fish while you take pictures of me. I also expect you to provide the beer and grub. I prefer Pepsi to Coke and Turkey to Ham. The end. :p

Sometimes I wonder how many high schooler's are on here. Fishing should be fun and relaxing ... unless you break something. Although breaking something because you caught the biggest fish ever is acceptable and still in the fun and relaxing category. *shrugs* ... just my opinion.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
153B2C33272A6F66695E0 said:
I think Potlicker is my new favorite word. I am going to see if I can getaway with using it as a new term of endearment for my wife. I will let you all know how well that goes.

I think that if you are going to make a post about your awesome fishing you should automatically be entitled to take me out on your boat to your spot and let me use your gear and fish while you take pictures of me. I also expect you to provide the beer and grub. I prefer Pepsi to Coke and Turkey to Ham. The end.  :p

Sometimes I wonder how many high schooler's are on here. Fishing should be fun and relaxing ... unless you break something. Although breaking something because you caught the biggest fish ever is acceptable and still in the fun and relaxing category. *shrugs* ... just my opinion.
I agree that "potlicker" has got to be the greatest term since "sliced bread" and "the wheel."  We should at the very least have a "potlicker" section of the forum, and I still think we should rename the site to be austinpotlickerfishing.com, or if TDub is not interested, we potlickers should start our own site.  Somebody has probably already potlicked that site name though.  DAM Potlickers! :mad: ;D

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gentlemen,

I was not complaining, just making an observation. I understand not posting specifics, or not posting at all. I do not go by these reports to determine where and how I fish. I have my own fairly successful locations and techniques. However, I still enjoy reading how others are doing as well. I will continue to post my reports (one coming today from Travis) and will respect those who decide not to do so.

· Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Sorry if the thread bounced off track a little IsThatABass. I, myself, nor the others (I can't/won't speak for people, but) weren't targeting you as one that is complaining. I took it as observation and was just throwing my .02 cents in there about some of the others threads as of late.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.