Bass Fishing Forum banner

Night fishing

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  fishytx 
#1 ·
I would like to learn more about fishing in the dark...literally...as opposed to what I feel like I'm doing sometimes when the bite is slow ;)

Anyhow, back on topic. I've noticed that I have never caught any fish when it is completely dark (late night or early morning). Admittedly I haven't spent much time fishing during these conditions, but I've heard the way you fish and lure selection can vary from what you would use during normal light conditions. I'd like to get some feedback on how to improve as a night fisherman.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

-Rich

#2 ·
I have only fished a few times at night,and all times have been few days before,on it,or after a full moon. I have had done fairly well throwing black zoom toads or black w/ blue flake senkos. Think the the darker the btter,I could be wrong,but I think with the frogs or other top water baits,the fish see a silouette <sp> and strike at that.But I could be wrong.In any case,I usually have fished darker colors to get more bites.

#3 ·
Dark colors - Black, Blue, Red, Purple, Green, or Brown.

Flash - Big Colorado Blades on spinner baits in nickle.
Plug here - Fool-A-Fish will add to the flash factor!

Rattle - Jigs with rattles, spinner baits with rattles, anything else that rattles.

Top Waters - Frogs and Buzz baits (dark colors)

Flavor! Must have more than just salt, Garlic is my personal favorite. Drown your lure in it.

#5 ·
I like using black plastics especially the ones with some yellow streaks in them. It's just a bait that I have confidence in and seem to get more bites with it. But the older you get, the more frustrated it can be working out back lashes and retying. So be sure to bring a good LED flashlight, I like the sweat band type that you wear on your head. The light is always pointing where your eyes are looking and allows use of both hands.

#8 ·
Thanks for all of the tips! It will likely be this coming spring before I get a chance to pull a late night or all nighter on LA. I'll keep you posted on how I do. Your advice will at least get me pointed in the right direction. Who knows, maybe I'll hook into a sleep walking bass! :)

-Rich

#10 ·
I love night fishing and even though most people think of it as a summer thing I find it just as good or better in the fall. Town or even Travis on a Nov or Dec warmer night can be excelent. All the central Tx lakes for that matter. 3/8 or a 1/2 oz pulsator SB in the #25 color Black/red. Blue flec or any darker Power worm with a rattle and scent. Denny Bauer rattleback jig, weight depends on what your fishing, black/blue or dark brown Be quiet.. Be patient and be confident... take a friend and don't stop casting. CAM

#13 ·
Hmmm i have small tips for u that First of all, pick a night when the weather forecast is good. It is tough enough moving and finding things in the dark - bad weather just makes it worse, and a whole lot more dangerous.Speaking of in the dark, make sure you have several light sources. My current boat has indirect lighting all the way around underneath the gunnels. Have additional flashlights and a good high candle power beam stored dry and safe. Bring extra batteries, too.

#15 ·
Night fishing can be very rewarding, not by numbers but by size. The fish also seem to fight a little harder at night than they do during the lighted hours.

I prefer to use dark plastic soaked with fish attractant, fished on a T/R real slow. Drag the bait across the bottom instead of pumping the bait. Let it set a little longer than what you do during the day light hours. Slow rolling a crank bait is efficient too. There are a lot of different things a person can try at night, but plastic seems to be the number one bait for most anglers. Jigs work great too.

Safety is the number one thing about night fishing.
1. You must bring plenty of cloths to stay warm, along with rain gear to keep you dry. If fishing by yourself then I would highly recommend a self inflating life vest. It’s hard to get back into your boat with a ton of wet cloths on if you should fall in, so it‘s always good to have a back up plan just in case. For instance, I made a rope with a loop on one end that goes around the boat cleat, with a short 2x4 on the other end to use to get back into the boat if necessary. It may sound silly, but it works.
2. Lights are very necessary. A good Q beam for travel, and some sort of a light attached to your hat or head for fishing.
3. If you are not aware of your surroundings while you’re on plane in the boat, then back off the throttle till you are. Don’t be afraid to use the Q beam, that‘s why you brought it with you, to see where you are going, and to determine where you are at. I normally run just fast enough to keep the boat up on plain and that’s it. You would be suppressed at how many boats are on the water at night with their lights turned off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.