Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my attwood nav lights off my johnboat and threw them on my yak (along with a red/uv floodlight) and headed down to town lake to for my first try at night fishing last night (7/31). I put in under the 35 bridge around 9:30pm and headed to the south shore. I worked my way east along the walk way, didn't have much luck, a few hits but nothing in the boat. The wind was pushing me around some so I headed over to the north shore to see if that would bring me better luck. All was quiet and I started working my way back towards 35. Was throwing a 5" senko weightless and pulled in a few small crappie hybrids. As the clock approached midnight I tossed the senko back towards the shore still not expecting much when it felt like I hooked a log. A sharp tug on my end later and I realized I hooked up with a fish cruising the shallows. A catfish maybe? Nope, got her closer to the yak and saw she was a nice bass. She didn't like seeing me and dove under the kayak, we fought a little longer, she did a nice water dance close to the boat and then joined me for a photo shoot and weigh in. Final weigh in was right at 4#. I have a cheap spring scale and no measuring tape which I'm kicking myself for - my hawg trough and rapala digital scale are already on their way so next time I'll be able to get better stats.

I'm happy with the one bass I did get but 1 bass for 3 hours of fishing isn't the best yield. The outside temp was in the low 80's when I left around 12:45 - obviously going later may improve my luck but is there anything else I can do to increase my chances if I go early again. Throw a different type of plastic, have it rigged differently, use a black color?

I only saw a few other people on the water - most using some sort of blue flashing lights to be seen - people were still hitting the trail up until the time I left. The wind calmed down and it was very peaceful out there. With all the city lights the visibility remained good.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went out from 8:45pm until midnight on Wednesday night, July 30th. Slung a super spook for an hour with no bites, then trolled a deep diving crankbait for a solid 1.5-2.0 hrs over some good humps and drop offs just to try something different this time. I'd cast the crank as far as I could, troll in the opposite direction until I spooled the reel, crank the bait down a bit, then drag it around the lake for a while until I'd feel the grass wrap up the bait. Rinse, repeat. Normally this will produce some bites for me even if it isn't the most entertaining way to fish, but I've never tried it at night. I've been on the Bird a bunch in the last 2 months at all times of the day/night and have only had one decent outing. Hopefully as the fanwort starts filling in again west of downtown, it will open up some better grass punching opportunities. I've been watching the eastern end of the lake (which has big shad balls everywhere, but the shad are still small) looking for any schooling but it just hasn't been going off at all yet, at least not at the surface anyway.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I noticed on your photo you stuck your scale through the thin skin on the fish's mouth...

In the future, you can run that hook up through the bottom or the gills (careful not to hit the red gill area where they actually absorb oxygen from the water, but rather slide the hook in before the gills)

That way you don't have to poke another hole in the fish's mouth or do any extra damage to it.

In these pics I uploaded, you can see where the hook slides in before the gills... lol I hope that explanation makes sense

·
Registered
522 Posts
I noticed on your photo you stuck your scale through the thin skin on the fish's mouth...

In the future, you can run that hook up through the bottom or the gills (careful not to hit the red gill area where they actually absorb oxygen from the water, but rather slide the hook in before the gills)

That way you don't have to poke another hole in the fish's mouth or do any extra damage to it.

In these pics I uploaded, you can see where the hook slides in before the gills... lol I hope that explanation makes sense

Good advice CT, see that a lot. I've always wondered if it affected the weight reading when going through the gills.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
855 Posts
Good reports, guys. Thanks for the info on baits/lures thrown and how they were worked.

Kev and I are planning an after-work/night trip early next week. My first time on the water at night. I'm looking forward to trying my Supernovas.

I'm still contemplating what to throw.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advice CT - that was the hole from my hook set so I figured I would reuse it but if you think it will hurt the fish I won't do it again. I certainly wouldn't punch another hole in a fishes mouth just to weigh it. I normally do run it up by the gills to weigh. I'm would like to get Supernovas but I probably need a better yak before I invest in those.

·
Registered
593 Posts
that looks like a pescador kayak. great kayak. throw some led on it.
I appreciate the advice CT - that was the hole from my hook set so I figured I would reuse it but if you think it will hurt the fish I won't do it again. I certainly wouldn't punch another hole in a fishes mouth just to weigh it. I normally do run it up by the gills to weigh. I'm would like to get Supernovas but I probably need a better yak before I invest in those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts