Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to Austin and am getting into fishing. Have my gear, but don't really know the spots. Until I get my yak, I'm looking for some bank fishing tips along Town Lake/Lady Bird as I live downtown. I've hit up Red Bud a couple times (decent) and have been shut out along Barton Creek numerous times (what gives). Am I missing any other go-to spots?

Also, interested in some night fishing insights as day fishing is tough with a baby at home.

Any insights for a newbie are appreciated.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There's a couple boat docks on the southeast corner of the first street bridge that you can cast to from under the bridge, but you have to be able to skip your lure under some overhanging brush to get to them. It's actually the big party boat docks. I've actually gotten some big bites over there. I've had some negative experiences, to put it nicely, with the homeless community along the lbl trail at night so I never tried night fishing down there. I've also caught some bass and blue gills with ultra light gear right lot of shoal creek along the trail near sixth street. The bigger ones hide in deeper water where it cuts under the trail. But again, be careful about hanging around down there during odd hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good tips, I know exactly the spots you're talking about. Hadn't really thought of the homeless situation, but can see it being something to note. Wondering if Red Bud is ok at night, for bites and safety. I think the park is open til 10, but don't think there's any lights on the isle.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Red bud is not as close to downtown so probably pretty safe. You could also try the docks down by mozarts on lake Austin Blvd, and there's a park with a boat ramp near there too. Everything down that way is probably pretty far from the homeless crowd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts