Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

New to the site, and am also a proud new kayak owner! I live in the South Austin area and am just kinda looking for some places to put in at. Im no stranger to fishing, but im a total noob when it comes to fishing from a boat or kayak so any tips/tricks would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your yak.

The best tip you can get is to take it out a few times before you start modding it. Get comfortable in your yak first before anything else, learn it's limits and yours.

Reactions: Luke25

·
Registered
689 Posts
Town Lake is great place to start, no power boats or skiers...the highschool put in is cool, or the Stratford rowing docks. Both free.

I like Redbud Island, but you'd better be there early on weekend days to get parking.

Town Lake (Lady Bird Lake) gets chock-a-block with pleasure paddlers after 9am too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Lbl for sure, la during the week (try to ignore 6am 50 year old slolam guy blasting "around the world" rollin with his bromate). Other options are available but wind plays dirty with yaks, big open water can be a *****. Not that I haven't taken mine to places like buch or salt water derricks off mustang island.

·
Registered
76 Posts
best tip if you want to fish LA. Go early in the morning... not only because that's when the fish are biting, but because the lake is so narrow the wakes are a pain in the ass in the yak

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hoppped onto Lady Bird yesterday (7/18) didnt catch anything worth bragging about. Had fun though, nontheless. Only complaint is that i couldnt really find anywhere to launch, but after paddling around the lake for awhile i think i finally found a ramp thats off of Cesar chavez.

FJ, i may be going in for overtime 7/19, however if end up not going ill deffinatly see about hitting up lady bird. If anything ill at least come by and meet everybody, my kayak isnt outfitted to be on the lake at night just yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.