Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all
This is great. I moved to austin going on about 2 yrs ago. I am use to fishing Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend. I just went out for the first time on Lake Austin last week and didn't get one bite. Where should I start and what works out here. I tried spinners, lizards, frog, crank, rattle trap, worm.........Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey Green
I'm from east texas myself and used to fishing rayburn and toledo. I've been fishing around austin for about 3 years now and it seems tougher than back home. LA is a tough lake to fish. The water is so much clearer here and you really have to pay attention to your line color! Try Bastrop. It's more like the lakes back home.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Where are you two guys from? I grew up in Orange. Spent a few days on Big Sam and Toledo myself.

I'll be out on Lake Austin tomorrow morning. Hopefully, we can stick a few fish. I'll be sure to post up; catch or no catch!

Wurm

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Give it some time, Austin is a very tough lake to fish and even tougher during the spawn.  But with the warm weather and rice farmers in need of water, two of the biggest factors are about to change the way Austin fishes...wakeboard traffic and release schedules.  Dirty, moving water is about to set the lake on fire!

We'll be starting our Wed Night tournaments out there next week so check back for results and reports.  We'll also be providing details and patterns from the winning sacks on www.ttz1.com.

One more tip, you can't go out there and chunk a bait at the obvious docks, reeds and grass sitting in 2-12' and expect to be consistent.  Although they produce fish from time to time, those areas have seen a million Senkos over the years.  There are some less pressured areas on that lake (brush piles, channel bends, rock piles and deep grass lines) that hold fish when the community holes aren't producing.  You just gotta spend the time to find those areas on your own or fish with the right people  :p

· Registered
102 Posts
I think I have figured out my approach during this years tournaments.  ;D

I'm going to put 5 sheets of paper in a hat with five patterns, (grass, ridges, reeds, docks, bluffs), draw one out and that is where I will fish that night. Heck nothing else is working.  :-[

Yes Airfob I will be at some of them. Looking to see some of the same faces and adding names to them this year.

· Registered
57 Posts
I grew up in south park in Beaumont. Spent lots of spring break weeks as a kid at Caney creek on Rayburn. All I remember is it was huge lake, and the weather and waves could get up real quick! I agree Bastrop seems to feel like east Texas, especially with those pine trees.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey, new to the forum as well (well actually been here awhile, just haven't registered).

I grew up in Port Neches as well. Currently live in Houston (Lake Conroe area), but fish Travis frequently.

When were you in port neches?

· Registered
712 Posts
Hey Green, Welcome to the forum, Spend a little time reading the posts on here and you'll do well, Even look up posts from this time last year (may help). These guys on here a are pretty open with info compared to most forums. You'll have a lot of fun

· Registered
1,895 Posts
WO-S, Class of '92.

Went to school at Lamar ('93-'99) and used to hit Bessie Heights Marsh, and GSU Hot Ditch all the time for Reds on my way home through BC. Have several friends from PNG. I miss the salt water sometimes.....

Welcome to the Forum!

Wurm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.