Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am fairly new to Austin, just moved here in August from San Antonio to teach. I love to salt water fish and pretty much have been doing so all my life but now that I have the opportunity to do some freshwater fishing I am looking for tips. I am going out this Saturday and I am really unsure of where to go. So far I have fished Lady Bird Lake (by the power plant, and by Martin Park) and also a private area of Lake Austin. I have had a little luck while I am still trying to get the hang of it. I currently tried a finesse worm or a baby brush hog Texas rigged, or a Hoola Hopper for top water in the morning. This Saturday I will be heading out pretty early but most likely fishing all day and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to where some good public places to fish on Lake Austin are. Or if you prefer a different lake or spot and are willing to share please do.

As far as technique I have assumed that with all the hustle and bustle of boats and downtown Austin, the bass are quite timid especially since its hot this time of year. I read that bass like to be near brush and sticks, but I also read that in temps like we have now, they prefer deep water. I have been casting in mostly 4 to 5 feet of water and working it rather slow with the Texas rig. I also saw a post the other day of a girl who caught a fairly large drum in Lake Austin using what I usually do for Reds which is Crawfish just sitting at the bottom. How normal is it to catch a drum in the water up here? Thanks for all the tips and help while I start my fresh water fishing adventures.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
S.A. rocks. Drum are plentiful, especially when you are fishing in a bass tourney and you think you hooked a SAL.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
there are no red drum stocked in austin area lakes.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Yes in the mid 70s and since they don't breed in freshwater I'd bet there are none left.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like your bank fishing? Dink Pearson Park on the north side of Lake Travis would be a good bet I think. Lots of shoreline there that has shallow water and deep water close enough to cast to. Should be able to catch Guadalupe Bass, Black Bass and Catfish from the bank. I would use a smoke glitter grub on a 1/8th oz jig head or a 4 inch finesse worm rigged with a shakey head, green pumkin is a good color to start with. Not sure about best catfish bait.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Lake Austin can be a difficult place to bank fish. Most areas on Lake Austin have limited shoreline access, and a lot of the time the access you do have isn't always to super fruitful waters. With that being said, don't completely rule out shore fishing on Lake Austin. I've done it and succeeded. Here's a list of areas to check out that I have personal experience with and have had success at: 360 bridge, Quinlan Park, City Park (AKA: Emma Long Park), Low Water Crossing, Selma Hughes Park, Panther Hollow (there's a small park off of Big View Dr.), and Common's Ford. There may be a couple others.

Most of the lakes around here have freshwater drum in them. I personally don't catch a bunch of them, but I've never specifically targeted them. The ones I catch are accidental while fishing for bass. They are common enough though I suppose...

Also, I'm going to send you a PM with some additional info, so keep an eye out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts