Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grew up fishing for blacks with my Dad in Arkansas during the summers. Some days when the fishing was slow, my dad would always talk about the monsters he could catch during the spawn in the winter. Since I only got to go down during the summer, I have never fished a spawn. Now while my stint with the boy scouts was short lived (1 summer when I was 10), I do remember their motto to "Be Prepared." That being said, I wanted to be prepared for the spawn so I know what I am getting into and what I am looking for.

First question, approx. when does the spawn start on Lake Austin?

I purchased a Hobie kayak this fall and will be using it to fish. My boat is old and it seems like I spend more time getting on the water and having to try to fix it than actually getting to fish. I tell you this, because I usually put in at Quinlan Park and would need to be in reasonable kayaking distance to find fish. I currently just float along and pitch around all the docks in that area. Would it be reasonable to think I could find some spawning beds close to QP?

What sort of signs should I look for to locate the beds? Any particular techniques or rigs I should be considering?

I appreciate any info yall can or are willing to provide. I am a catch and release guy just looking to be able to impress my boy with my fishing knowledge as he gets older. Fishing is such a release for me and would love to beat my personal best this year (caught two 5.5 lbers the same day with my dad when I was about 12 or so).

Thanks in advance!
Jason

·
Registered
663 Posts
You are on the right track...would suggest getting out there as much as possible because LA has changed a lot in a year with no grass situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Learn how to skip your bait into places way back under those docks. The more you're able to get your bait into those "remote" areas, the more you'll get bit. Might be a challenge if you can't stand in your yak, and if that is the case, a short rod will help.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I fish QP out of a yak as well. You can find spawning beds within paddling distance of the landing, but be aware that they're gonna be hammered. LA is fishing tough right now, and I suspect that may continue into the spring season. When the fish get on their beds is anyone's guess, since it's dependent on the temp and other factors. If you're really going to be a full-on Boy Scout about it, start fishing late Feb as often as you can and then look for beds until you find them.

Nobody will tell you where they are, for obvious reasons. We get a lot of "trying to catch fish for my son/dad/autistic war-hero orphan firefighter whomever" requests on the pages from out-of-towners looking for a quick score this time of year. You could be totally legit, but the lurkers aren't, so unfortunately, you're on your own. Good luck.

-SSJr

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Being on Lake Austin and trying to learn to fish the spawn would probably be frustrating. It was for me and I had 50HP helping me traverse the lake. The problem is, especially in the spring, the water temp are all over the place from one lake bend to the next and again from one end of the lake to the other. So in one stretch the spawn will be finishing up and in another the bass will just be starting. This is great if you have a motor and can run around looking for the action. If you were on Bastrop or any lake not shaped like a river you would have far more opportunity to find bedding bass. But back on Lake Austin you may find it easier to pick off the ones fattening up in the shallows rather than specifically looking for beds. Get out there as early in the morning as you can before everything has been picked apart.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sorry that last post wasn't really the advise you were asking for, I'll try again. When I find a fish on a bed I like to skip a wacky rigged weightless senko right on his head and see if he'll suck it in. If not, I go for a reaction strike with a shaky head- I throw that one past the bed and drag it in. He'll eventually get pissed and attempt to pick it up and move it. I don't really seek out the beds, there seems to be enough activity for me to be able to catch less vulnerable fish up shallow and I can stay out of the way of these fish trying to increase their population.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Jason, i think you would have a far better time on town lake ( lady bird lake) fishing the inside and outside edges of the grass. The area out in front if barton creek and in front of the old power plant would be a couple areas to start.

In addition, you wont have to worry about getting swamped by the boats that lake austin seems to have no matter what time of day you are on her.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Hey Jason, i think you would have a far better time on town lake ( lady bird lake) fishing the inside and outside edges of the grass. The area out in front if barton creek and in front of the old power plant would be a couple areas to start.

In addition, you wont have to worry about getting swamped by the boats that lake austin seems to have no matter what time of day you are on her.

Good luck.
This is the best advice you're gonna get. I'll send ya a PM though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gentlemen, I apologize for the delayed response. All this beautiful weather and I was stuck in bed down with the sickness ugh. Anyhow, thank you all for the advice. It will def get me going. I guess the reason I was hung up on lake austin is because I'm looking to catch a monster. Didn't know that lady bird was even decent to fish tbh. I will be using yalls advice though and it sounds like I just need to get out there and do some work. Thank you all so much once again! Also wasn't trying to pull on any heart strings with a sob story or anything. Fishing with my dad was about the only good memory I had with him and I want to make my boy proud is all. Hope to see some of you guys out there!

Oh one last thing. The weekly tourneys. I didn't get a chance to fish one this year but does anybody use a yak or all boats? Wondering how you keep your fish alive for weigh in if you are using a yak.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The weekly tourneys. I didn't get a chance to fish one this year but does anybody use a yak or all boats? Wondering how you keep your fish alive for weigh in if you are using a yak.

The weekly Lake Austin TTZ Wednesday night events start after daylight savings. We've never had any kayak fishermen enter, all of our anglers are in boats with livewells.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh one last thing. The weekly tourneys. I didn't get a chance to fish one this year but does anybody use a yak or all boats? Wondering how you keep your fish alive for weigh in if you are using a yak.
The weekly Lake Austin TTZ Wednesday night events start after daylight savings. We've never had any kayak fishermen enter, all of our anglers are in boats with livewells.
And all of the kayak-specific tournaments go by length and not weight, and require the use of a Hawg Trough:

With a photo of your fish on it:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so a bit late to be asking this but where do I put my kayak in on Lady Bird? I searched the forums and it seems like the Austin High ramp is where most do it, but since school is in tomorrow, I susoect I can't launch there and park my truck? I bought a Hobie Pro Angler 14. It's a really heavy yak that I have to pull on wheels. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well forgive my ignorance. Getting here makes me realize the "ramp" isnt actually part of the school and there are a few parking spots. Wish me luck :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts