Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Picked up bass fishing earlier this year after fishing salt for a while. I bass fished when I was in my teens so picking it back up now and learning as I go.

Launched at the yak rental dock near Mopac around 5PM. Picked up some 1-2 lb fish on drop shots with a curly tail worm in root beer color and made my way toward downtown. Got about to the rowing dock and picked up a nice fish near some willows.

Moved back down under the bridge and put on a 10" black worm with the drop shot and landed this fish, 4.81lbs.

Last week I fished near red bud and caught another nice one on drop shot and lost a toad right at the kayak. I would say that one was 8lbs plus. I bought a net so that has helped since then.

Any tips are appreciated. I have seemed to do better in the evening and better when they are not releasing water. Maybe that has to do with kayak positioning with the paddle during release times. Trying to get a better kayak as paddling and fishing is a major hassle. I've only caught fish over 3lbs on drop shots and jigs. I've thrown everything else and never gotten a large bass.

If you see me out on LBL (basically only place i fish/have fished) please feel free to say hi. Usually I'm in a red old town or yellow old town kayak.

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Watercourse Lake

Jaw Thigh Eyelash Art Human leg

Hand Water Automotive lighting Leisure Sky

From last week by red bud the day i lost the larger fish:

Organism Gesture Fish Plant Tail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I release all fish. Only fish Ill ever keep are saltwater fish and thats only once or twice a year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good job on a tough, hard fished body of water. Do NOT keep anything from there, just FYI.
Is this because it is too polluted to eat from?
I've actually been wondering if there is a reference somewhere to where its safe to eat from and not.
I'm mostly a catch and release fisherman unless I get something really big and delicious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the short time I've been fishing town lake, Ive seen a rotting raccoon head floating, trash and sewage.

I honestly do not understand how people swim in there (despite it being not allowed). I watched a group of kids swim from the rowing dock across the lake and back on a Friday afternoon. Ill put my feet in the water but that is the limit.

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
If I were a meat fisherman, I would harvest and eat fish from Lady Bird. The lake is not any more polluted than other lakes. The trash is a lot more visible, that’s all. I like to joke about it, just as a dig on those that would litter in this beautiful lake.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There used to be fish consumption advisories on Town Lake, now known as Lady Bird Lake, even though Lady Bird herself did not want it named after her. City of Austin did that after she passed...we did used to keep bluegill and sunfish out of the lake though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts