Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to site so just a quick introduction, I haven't been fishing in quite awhile (well I've gone enough to get my fishing license every year but usually 2 or 3 times tops), basically sold my boat about 10 years ago and well..life you know. Anyways so my birthday is in a few weeks and pretty sure I'm getting me a new kayak and if not I'm going to go buy myself one. So any advice, forum topics for newbies, videos, whatever you can point me to would be great. Also any advice on what places not to put a kayak in? I live in hutto so I've fished the taylor pond in the park, and the pond in old settlers park as well... Any good spots on a lake anyone would recommend to go paddle around in and do some fishing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys new to site so just a quick introduction, I haven't been fishing in quite awhile (well I've gone enough to get my fishing license every year but usually 2 or 3 times tops), basically sold my boat about 10 years ago and well..life you know. Anyways so my birthday is in a few weeks and pretty sure I'm getting me a new kayak and if not I'm going to go buy myself one. So any advice, forum topics for newbies, videos, whatever you can point me to would be great. Also any advice on what places not to put a kayak in? I live in hutto so I've fished the taylor pond in the park, and the pond in old settlers park as well... Any good spots on a lake anyone would recommend to go paddle around in and do some fishing?
Howdy. I'm in East RR near Hutto and just returned to bass fishing. I just bought a kayak and have been using it for Jan-Apr in this area. Sold it to upgrade. I've not hit the big lakes yet (Decker, Travis) but was frequent in Pflugerville, Brushy, and Meadow lakes. All good of various size, water, and fish opportunities. No offense to this wonderful site but larger communities (reddit/kayakfishing) may give you more diversity in kayak prep. Otherwise, the folks here are great for local fishing support.
Tight lines!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Howdy Gibs78, welcome to the forum as well as back to fishing. To take a spin off of garbon73, I would not spend a lot on your first kayak as you will need to be out on the water some to learn what you like and dont like before buying your long term fishing kayak. I would also recommend Youtubing fishing kayak upgrades and hacks. There are some really useful things on there that helped me "customize" my kayak. Once you have it I would recommend starting on smaller water to get used to handling it and casting from it. Consider things like raised seating and ease of loading and unloading as well. I have found that a lot of the "hacks" on youtube work great and save you a lot of money - kayak carts from pvc, lanyards out of weedeater string, stake out poles. Also remember that if you flip it, anything not tied down or secured will be gone. I ended up using magnets and velcro for a lot of my items to secure to the kayak. Best way to do this is to jump in and start fishing. Keep your lines tight and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I’m new to yakking too. I like too see how cheaply I can get away with. However, I bought the “deluxe” dolly from Academy and I believe it was worth the price. Sometimes I think the homemade PVC dolly with the uprights thru the scupper holes and pneumatic tires would be better.

My back would stiffen after an hour, so I had to raise the seat. Didn’t cost me anything but a little time, as I was fortunate to have a spare bass buggy seat and hardware laying around.

Kayak: $150 clearance from Dick’s
Dolly: $50 retail Academy
Paddle Vest PFD: $20 clearance Gander Mtn
Seat: $0 Spare
Ascend Paddle: $0 Found
Anchor: $0 8lb dumbbell with 1/4” poly line

The seat does raise the center of gravity. I have not turtled, yet, so I don’t take anything I’m not prepared to lose forever. Even though I’m a good swimmer, I wear a PFD. I don’t have lights, so I don’t low-light yak anywhere that allows gas-engined bass boats.

My next project is to somehow reuse a spare sonar unit from the bass buggy on the yak. I’ve been watching a YouTuber who uses duct seal to affix the transducer inside the hull.
444BBA18-34EE-4E15-924C-1781F8D5A250.jpeg
CB32EB50-2E3C-4DE6-9FB7-F983A8FECA01.jpeg
EE72054A-4B1F-4B65-80F3-3ECA578DC03C.jpeg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jeremy, totally agree that DIY savings are the way to go. I elevated my seat with a couple pieces of aluminum angle iron and a rivet gun to attach tie down connections. The reason I made my own cart was to take advantage of a couple pneumatic tires I had on hand. I also elected not to go through the scupper holes but instead used a tie down strap I hand as well. Since we do a lot of river running I am looking at ways to make a cart that I can carry with me for those stretches where the water is to low to paddle. BTW Gibs - listen to anything Jeremy tells you. He has caught more fish than I have even dreamed of.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Aluminum angle would be my first choice, light weight and corrosion resistant. Unfortunately, all I had was 316 stainless steel channel and electro-galved (EG) flattened mild steel channel. The stainless channel raised the CG too much. I trimmed the rolled edge of the EG channel and used cold-galvanizing spray paint to coat the ends. I thought about using rivets, but I was afraid they would pop when r’aring back for a hook-set. I used 316 stainless steel hardware with ASME stack-up. I used a 1/4” X 1-1/4” 316 stainless fender washer inside the hull (I could reach thru the hull storage portal.) No more wet-butt and I can easily lean forward to stretch my back and get some blood flow in my glutes.

My dream is to one day have a yak I can stand in. Fishing pull baits and jerk baits is much easier done standing up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like all have said here, don’t hemorage your pockets until you’ve worked out exactly what you really want. Even then, your desires will evolve as your fishing does.
I’m the proud owner of a Hobie PA 14 with quite a few add ons (lights, rails, rod holders, etc). Actually, I have just recently finished wiring in a new Lowrance Hook Reveal 5....and I love it. I resolved my power needs by picking up a Nocqua pro power kit. It’s a small, lightweight 12v 10ah Lithium battery with water-tight connection(s). I’m running the Lowrance off of it and have yet to run it down even after an entire day on the water. The AGM 12v feeder battery (BassPro XPS) now only runs the SuperNova lights (fore, aft, cockpit, & tank well).

I’m also in research mode for another yak that is slightly less cumbersome for those quick sessions or places with less than adequate launching offerings. My yak rides on its own trailer and I tote it as little as possible, thus the need for something a bit smaller & lighter. When I attempt to portage it on occasion I am quickly reminded that the human body and explosions do not mix well and this was not the best idea. Those fishing trips are usually cut short, unfortunately.

I’ve had the opportunity to meet and fish with several from ABF, Jeremy included. All good folks & a blast to cast with.

I’m in your neck of the woods and have fished just about all of the yack accessible waters within an hour or two. If you have questions about rigging, setup, or anything give a shout.
If you desire to stretch your line, sound off!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jeremy, this is the video I followed to build a power box for my kayak.

I am also in a sit on top Ocean 2 person kayak that I already had so I have plenty of room. This is the basic design I started with for mounting my fishing finder. I didnt want to drill any holes in the hull and this allows me to pull it off when needed. I am working on a similar set up for my wife's yak so I can move it over to hers if she wants it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts