Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have an idea what it would cost to put new carpet in a 16' Tracker, either a Bass Tracker or a Panfish model? Am looking to buy and may buy an old one, but would need new carpet. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I just replaced all the wood (main floor, front/rear deck, wrapped the console, under gunwale rod locker, & a front support piece) in my deep V aluminum boat with Marine plywood from Fine Lumber in East Austin ($131.00 a sheet x4 sheets). Personally can't stand carpet in a boat. Carpet goes in a house, not in boat with fish slime, bait, puked up baitfish, blood, guts, etc..
The console, front piece and rod locker wood all got sanded and treated with 3 coats each side of Cabot's Marine Spar varnish.
I also coated the underside of the floor pieces with spar varnish.
The topside of the floor I first painted the wood with a tinted exterior deck, aluminum, wood, sealer.
http://www.insl-x.com/product-detail/inslx-products/aqua-lock-plus
Then painted with Exterior grade, off white deck paint with Tread Tex anti skid additive mixed in heavy. Feels like 80 grit sandpaper, stays cool, doesn't slip, comfortable on the feet, washes clean easily with a couple 5 gallon buckets of water at the ramp. Instead of wasting hundreds of gallons of water with a hose later at the house.
I didn't just pour it in the paint and stir. I took a large vitamin bottle, drilled a bunch of holes in the lid to make a shaker. Put some paint in the roller pan, shook some additive in, stirred it up and rolled it on.
My thought is, if it wears, I'll just roll some more on in a few years.
Gallon of sealer, paint and a couple bags of additive=less than $100.
http://www.amazon.com/Homax-Group-8600-Additive-16-Ounce/dp/B001E1SYU2

Lund floor.jpg

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Here's a couple more pictures. I trimmed out the floor front and rear with angle aluminum. Left the sides to drain.
Every screw is Stainless. Rivets are aluminum.
You can also see the old console wrapped in new wood with the spar varnish.
Also spar varnish on the underside of floor before screwed down.
Just passing on an option...
floor front.jpg
Floor rear.jpg
Floor varnish.jpg
Floor.jpg

·
Registered
733 Posts
I got a bid over the phone for my 18' aluminum Xpress a few years back from a guy in south Austin named Casio something or other, and it was kinda pricey, like $1,200 - $1,300 installed. Figured my carpet wasn't that bad yet. Then there was a guy up around Temple or Killeen, John DeSean something or other, doing carpet installs and he quoted me $800, but then he disappeared about when I was ready to do it and never could reach him again. Since then Shoreline Boat & RV opened, so you should call them to get a ballpark number for what it'd cost to have it done right.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
For that size boat $700-1000 range is about right. Much of the cost on the higher end installs is directly related to the quality of the carpet used. You get what you pay for

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did the work myself and it was about $150 for the carpet, wood, and other materials for my 16' bass boat.
I knew a place that would do it for cheap, but I just called and they have so much furniture business, they are not working with boats anymore.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Check out Magnum trailers for carpet. I got my bunk carpet from them at very reasonable prices, but I am not sure they sell standard width carpet that would be used for deck replacement. They may even install it for you. Phone calls are cheap and easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts