Bass Fishing Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would top them off.
You batteries will last longer if you keep them hooked up to a charger all the time. They have semiconductors in them that run a little charging clock and that maintains your batteries. Like RO said, avoid charging before the night before. Batteries need to "settle" for 24 hours or so after charging, if you want the longevity of your good battery habits to pay off.
thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do not undo the crank or what ever you use to secure the boat to the trailer when backing in until the boat is in the water.
I undid mine on a brand new boat when launching at the dam on Lake Austin...my chest was really pushed out from pride with everyone watching .....boat slid off trailer and launched its self..100 + ft out in the lake...only pea size chip damage..motor was up so no damage....glad it was a good day for a swim. Hell yea they all laughed.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Great tips guys...keep em coming...a newby myself with getting first bass boat 7 months ago (Don't forget to raise your motor before pulling your boat out of the water.....just saying...minor damage to the lower fin since heard it scraping and stopped quickly)

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you have a wash down pump on your boat and you have been using it before a big freeze remove the screen cover to drain the water out or you will be buying a new one.

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
One of the best tips I got early on(if you struggle backing a trailer in the water): "Drive the Trailer not the vehicle, turn the wheel the direction you want the trailer to go". Just make sure you take a peek at the front of the vehicle every once in a while so you don't turn the truck/SUV into something while focusing on the trailer.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Never beach the boat with the wind, learned that the hard way this weekend. Boat was swamped within seconds. luckily it's a Whaler and does not sink, just took an hour of slow cruising and Mcdonalds cups to bail it out haha

·
Registered
418 Posts
Keep the kanuter valve clean, and change out the blinker fluid. ;-)

But seriously, unless you're letting the water drain out, always leave
the boat plug in. We've all done that one. Seeing water
come in jars the memory real quick, yes?, ha ha. Don't rely on a bilge pump
to save you.

Towing a boat with a cover on it kinda loose...all that wind whipping the cover
around can rub the paint off.

Trim the motor up and keep the bow high and the speed slow into big waves.
Nosediving into a wave is scary.

Boat damage seems to happen a lot at the ramp and when it's tied up
to a dock. Cushions between the boat and dock help when the waves
come in.

When learning to back a trailer, take it very slowly, so you can correct the steering
and not undercorrect or overcorrect. If you undercorrect or overcorrect
too much then you have no choice but to pull forward and start over. Taking it
slowly gives your brain time to recalculate and react.

Boat ramp etiquette. Be reasonably fast about launching and loading.
Troubleshooting the motor while taking up the ramp is bad form.

This is car related. Plant a spare door key somewhere on your
vehicle. In a secret place, and yet easy to get to, and don't forget
where it is hidden. Sooner or later, one way or another, we all
get locked out. It may not even be your fault, you could be letting
a friend handle your keys and HE locks them in the car. How often
do you see someone trying to coat-hanger or slim-jim their way in?
And Pop-A-Lock will charge you at least $40 to come help you.
Do this for your wife or girlfriend and it could save both of you the stress.

Another one...away from home, never ever lay your keys or wallet down,
not even for a moment. Never let them leave your grasp.
You WILL forget them one day.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Those were some excellent pointers Rex, if I set my phone down anywhere anytime not right under my nose its lost. Realize its riding on my toolbox in the back of the truck running down the highway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Whenever backing my boat, I always drop my tailgate. It makes things a lot easier.
When I get home from fishing, I trim the motor down and take the leaf blower and blow the left over water out of the lower unit.
You would be surprised how much is in there. I also do it during the winter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should remove your trolling motor prop and inspect for fishing line. Unfortunately there are many snags and lines tangled down in the water. Fishing line can work its way into the seal and bearing if not removed. I recommend doing this when your boat is out of the water but if you
have to inspect and remove fishing line while your fishing or your boat is in the water be careful not to drop the nut and pin that holds the
prop in place. You should have a spare in your boat just in case.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts