Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Deb if you have bearing buddy's on your trailer only give enough grease to barely move the cap, to much will pop the back seal.
...and once a year take off the hubs, clean all grease out of the bearings, inspect them and pack them well with fresh marine grade grease. (I like the blue stuff you can find at AutoZone or Wally world.)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I keep certain spare parts, tools, & equipment onboard as learned from life experiences of those vein blowing little trip killing moments back when I didn't but wish I had. Spare oem alum prop, prop wrench, can of engine starter, cotter pins, spare tm prop, spare fuel line squeeze bulb, spare fuel line connector (to motor), spare spark plugs, spare fire extinguishers, spare handheld horn, spare fuse assortment, spare drain plugs, spare zip ties, spare qt oil or two (on days w/long runs), paddle, basic tool kit, various lengths of tie line, bumper bouy, sponges & towels, jumper cables, water sock drift anchor, reg anchor,25' nylon tow line rigged with spring clasp hook at one end and coated cable swivel two hook ski harness at the other (it's worked perfect for the many times towing my rig behind houseboats, pontoons, etc. while partying, but even better yet for pulling in the number of stranded souls w/boat probs I've come across and getting them back to their put-in point safely.) And of course I never leave the dock without duct tape onboard and the obligatory flask of vodka tucked into the boat gear bag to, uh, supplement my first aid supplies?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Deep cycle batteries last a lot longer if stored in the fully charged state. So always hook up the charger and recharge fully as soon as you get back from fishing. Don't wait to charge the batteries until the night before your next trip or your battery life will be truncated severely. May seem obvious, but a buddy was telling me it was news to him until recently.
Yep.. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
if you go in salt water just once a year, drop your lower unit and regrease so you can remove it later when you have to. Do this even if your water pressure is good. (found out the hard way)
also, remove the prop and regrease that prop shaft spline.

Its amazing how just a bit of salt water can make things weld together.

If your boat is going to not be used for a few months, its a good idea to get that fuel out and use elsewhere if at all possible. Otherwise the alcohol abuse will get your motor

·
Registered
604 Posts
For the lower unit//freezing issue, buy yourself one of those flood lights with the steel clamp at Walmart, and clamp it to//or on the trailer close to your lower unit. It will keep it warm, and it will not freeze if you leave it on at night. I used a cheap time to run it at night when I had my boat in storage way back when. $10 bucks for a light, that will save you about a grand.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Don't down too many Lone Stars while on the water, and especially not on the road back home!!!!!

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
When storing the boat in the garage should the motor be trimmed all the way down? or up? and if up then should I use the trim lock to reduce stress on the hydraulics?

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
another question. With the Transom saver, my outboard sits too low to also use the tilt lock. Do I not need to use the tilt lock if I have a transom saver?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Jim, I am overdue for service. Will be calling soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Deep cycle batteries last a lot longer if stored in the fully charged state. So always hook up the charger and recharge fully as soon as you get back from fishing. Don't wait to charge the batteries until the night before your next trip or your battery life will be truncated severely. May seem obvious, but a buddy was telling me it was news to him until recently.
question... if i fully charge my batteries when i get out of the water and they sit in my garage (on a block of wood) for a week do i need to charge the night before still? im not sure how quickly they drain, i have 2 that are still pretty new, maybe like a year old...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Never store your FF under a boat cover. It gets so hot under there that steam can penetrate the seals. Learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
question... if i fully charge my batteries when i get out of the water and they sit in my garage (on a block of wood) for a week do i need to charge the night before still? im not sure how quickly they drain, i have 2 that are still pretty new, maybe like a year old...
I would top them off.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You batteries will last longer if you keep them hooked up to a charger all the time. They have semiconductors in them that run a little charging clock and that maintains your batteries. Like RO said, avoid charging before the night before. Batteries need to "settle" for 24 hours or so after charging, if you want the longevity of your good battery habits to pay off.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts