Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the Blue Wave boats that Robert found online and I am ready to buy, but I know I will keep the boat for a long time and want to get the right one.

I will try to explain where I fish and see what you think is right for me.
I have been fishing mainly at Granger and Bastrop and my bass boat has been fine for those lakes.
I have fished Travis and Buchanan a few times and would like to focus on them more, but would feel more comfortable in a bigger boat with higher sides. I had a tri-hull boat in the past and I don't need an arc to feel safe, just a little more than inches from the water like my bass boat. <I should add that part of new found concern for safety is that I am going to start taking my young daughter on the boat>
I fished at the coast my whole life up to a few years ago and would like to do more again in the future. I fished Port A, Copano Bay, and Estes Flats.
One of the things I don't know is whether I am giving up safety and stability by going with a model that can go in very shallow water.

Let me know which blue wave boat you think is best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I owned a 22ft Blue Wave with 150 Yamaha VMax. Just because that boat runs in shallow water, there is no doubt it is completely safe. I took my daughter from when she was just barely old enough to walk until she was 4. I ran it with her in the boat on Lake Austin during the summer with all the ski boats out, and it was nothing for that boat. Blue Wave's are awesome boats, and handle rough water very well and run suprisingly shallow. I routinely ran my BW in 8-10 inches of water and I ran it out 25 miles off shore.

I crossed SA bay (14 miles) when a cold front caught us by suprise in the middle of the night whilst we were camping and winds gusted to 40+ mph. We loaded the boat with generator, 4 guys, complete camping gear, table, stove, etc. and although it was a bit rough we never felt unsafe, err at least I didnt. A couple of the guys were scared to death seeing waves that big.

I highly recommend getting the 22ft and if you are going to fish the coast, I couldnt imagine not having a hydraulic jackplate on it. Besides a motor, the jackplate was the single most important thing on that boat to me.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
I recommend atlease a 22foot boat for your fishing needs.

Bluewave has come a long ways since making the classic BW hull. I know there a lot of brands out their, but  BW is a family ran business and would think you would enjoy it.
http://www.bluewaveboats.com/content/other-12.cfm

Others to consider, but are heavier and pricey:

Ranger Bay Rangers 2200, 2300,2310 models
Triton Bay Flight series
Skeeter Bay Pro series

BW is still very popular Texas Coastal boat...IMO...I have two friends that have them. Both are 22 footers.
Plus TAMALE, who is a great witness and help with his experience.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just posted my fishin partner's Rig- 22Ft Blue Wave on CraigsList Austin. Might check it out. It is a nice boat and sounds like what you might consider. It hasnt been to the coast in 4 years- and only a few times then. I have fished area lakes out of it and we took it to Falcon couple of times just in case it got rough because it can handle.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have a 22ft Blue Wave Classic (2004 model) I bought last Fall and have been very happy with it so far. I've used it a lot here on Buchanan and it handles rough water very well. I would recommend the deep-V hull over the tunnel hull models. Tunnels are great for running in really shallow water but the deep-V is better for rough water handling and fuel economy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.