Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am researching Bass Fishing Tournaments because my company is considering organizing one of their own. A few questions:

Are there any Tournament Directors yall would recomend?

What kind of prizes would you not miss a tournament for?

What are the best tournaments you've been to recently?

What kind of tournout do tournaments usually get?

Are there existing tournements looking to partner with a company that could provide access to prizing that might normally be out of reach and has access to media, advertising and promotional outlets?

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you take a broad look at what's drawing crouds of anglers, it takes $5K and up in prize money, but that's just for 1st place.  You also need to pay out top 25% of the field and make it worth thier time and effort.

Now that'll draw people to fish your tournament the first time you put on an event.  If it doesn't run smoothly at weigh in and take off, then bottom %80 of the field will be reluctant to fish in the tournament again the following year. This is they lost and they had a bad experience. This is where most annual tournaments go wrong.  You must have an organized take off and weighin that is fare to all competitors as possible. Rules must be clearly defined before the event to ensure fareness.

If you want to have a full discussion about tournaments feel free to call me.  I'll send you a private message with the number.

Good Luck,
Clint Bridges
Guide and Tournament Angler
http://bigtexasfish.blogspot.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would highly recommend Jeff Cook who is Central Texas FOM Director. He also runs a service (and is a fishing guide as well) whereby he will help you organize your tournament from end to end. His team has state of the art equipment that includes computer linked tournament scales with remote weight displays and computer printed weigh slips. At the end of the tournament they can provide printed reports and HTML files for posting, etc.

I have fished a bunch of tournaments he has run and they have always been first notch. He definitelys knows how to prepare/setup for a tournament and can answer your questions.

You can email me him at: [email protected] or call him at 512.413.4178

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
George said:
If you're thinking local do call Jeff Cook 512-413-4178.  He does this on a contract basis and is as good as anyone we know.   8)
Jeff will be a great contact.

There is quite a bit work to do in order to hold a open T and Jefff already has a proven format that would simply be a cut and paste operation.

kp

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey bud, don't worry too much about how much prize money there is. Find the right guys to run it (Jeff Cook) and it all comes together from there. Please have your guys ready though to raise some sponsor dough. Have great sponsors, great director, and have a great tourney. I'm looking forward to it!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I can GUARANTEE if you toss the possession/consumption clause your turnout will be substantially greater.

Also, in regards to prize money...instead of advertising a huge purse with only one place guaranteed I think most anglers would like to see more consistent payouts accross the board.  I understand the normal schedule is based on 100 boats but how many Ts (outside of Bass Champs) can consistently draw that number?

In my opinion, the regular sticks will usually show up and fish for the prize money.  It's the "dead money"/everyone else that you need to interest.

Are you hosting a high % payout to advertise your company/products or are you running a regular T?  We've had great success this year with our ABF jackpots.  Maybe some of the guys will chime in and let you know what they liked about fishing with us and what brought them out over and over again (besides having snakes thrown at them and watching Grnhead get faded and turning into TDub).

One last suggestion, wakeboarders should fish for free.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Air, I don't even charge for that service...it's just a "value add" when you hang out with me ;D

Something else that is cool, that most big T's don't do around here, is have a single starting point. It's kind of cool to see 75 boats all waiting to take off.

G

·
I'll take these point by point. This is only my opinion and does not represent anyone else's position. Take it or leave it.

1. Are there any Tournament Directors yall would recomend? Yes, Jeff Cook (Fishers of Men) Potts & Welch (Bass Champs).

2. What kind of prizes would you not miss a tournament for? Money. I don't care about the gimme junk (e.g. baits, line, caps, t-shirts). I have enough of this crap, and don't use most of it. Keep it and pay more money. Boats-- I have a boat already and do not care to win a boat. If I win a boat, I now have to sell a boat in order to have what I do need, which is money. It is not easy to sell a boat. Now, cold beer/drinks and a meal is very nice at the end of a tourney. If I don't get any money, at least I can head home with my stomach full.

3. What are the best tournaments you've been to recently? Bass Champs, Fishers of Men, and BASS Top 6 Tourney

4. What kind of tournout do tournaments usually get?
That depends on the reservoir being fished, the payout, and the date. Bass Champs will draw over 200 teams for some, but not all, Central Texas events. The winnersget lots of money ($20,000 - they used to give away a boat). Fishers of Men drew 78 teams this past Sat. at Travis. River City Bass Club's recent open tourney on Travis drew 118 teams.

5. Are there existing tournements looking to partner with a company that could provide access to prizing that might normally be out of reach and has access to media, advertising and promotional outlets?
I'm sure any of the bass clubs that put on open tourneys are always looking for more companies that will provide sponsorships, advertising, and promotions if it bings them more money and/or participants. You could check with Bass Champs or Fishers of Men to see if they would be interested in partnering, but I cannot speak for them.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Just so you guys know I tried to e-mail Dudley several times about that T they are trying to put on. Every e-mail he gives out over the radio or on their site gets kicked back to me.

If this is for the Dudley and Bob show shoot me an e-mail and we can talk offline.

Take Care
H.H.J.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You can't really throw out the consumption clause. There is a little thing called liability. If you are participating in a tourney and are drinking or what ever and were to serverly hurt or kill someone, the people throwing the tourney and or the officers in club may also be thrown into the lawsuit. And you know there will be one.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
If it is for KLBJ it will Rock!

One stipulation, Charlie Hodge fishes with me!
We speak the same lingo ;).

I agree with Mark- the alochol / drug thing is a liability issue. Although a couple shots of absent can definately make things a little different :eek:.

kp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much for everyone's responses, I have gotten a lot of good feedback and information so far. Hopefully we can finalize this event soon and get it on the calendar. For updates I think most of you have figured out where to listen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.