Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been actively trying to catch Flathead Catfish in Central Texas with no luck. I will be fishing at night on saturday night as well. Is there any good spots near Austin/Round Rock that is good for Flatheads?

·
Registered
12 Posts
jake._.atx,

I note that NOBODY has answered you & I'm NEW to 78750 area, too. = I'm also looking for some suggestions for good bank fishing spots for cat until I can get my little "new to me" Gamefisher boat here & registered in TX.
(I'm retired up from Ft Sam Houston.)

BEST WISHES, tex

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The issues with public responses to requests for fishing spots are:

There are 50 lurkers for every member on here who will take advantage of the information without contributing to the forum.
Many of the lurkers are members of the bucket brigade and no one wants their spot (s) over run with those guys.
Y'all are both brand new (welcome to ABF) and forums work well if things are shared. It's kinda like give to get. The more information you share, the more you are likely to get back.
I don't usually fish for cats so I got nothing. Hopefully y'all will get some private messages with suggestions.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NjTexan,

It's really difficult to share, if you are very new to the area & know ZILCH about fishing the Austin area. = In my case, I know exactly 2 people in Austin. = My adult daughter & her best friend. NEITHER fish.

Btw, what is "the bucket brigade"?? - Sorry, if that's a stupid question but I've been fishing for over 6 decades & that term's new to me.

Note: I belong to the San Antonio fishing forum & we all help each other, with especial help to "newcomers" to The Alamo City.
(Show up as "new in town", join our forum & at least one member will invite you to go fishing.)

yours, satx

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It's a valid question..
Bucket Brigade refers to the folks that typically bring a five gallon bucket with them and put every fish they catch in the bucket. Big or small, legal or not, every fish gets killed.

Like I said I hope you'll get some private messages telling you about some good cat fish spots. Just don't get your feelings hurt if there aren't a bunch of public responses.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pace bend has plenty of places to fish for cats.
I just got my Lone Star Pass and will be doing some overnight camping at Pace Bend this summer.

My friend was just talking about us doing some catfish fishing so guess I will concentrate on Pace Bend since it is close to him. I will have to do my research on catfish techniques out of a kayak since I have been more involved in bass fishing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rbdavis3591,

IF you get hooked-up on a large blue or flathead cat on a light rod, of the sort that you likely use for black bass fishing, you are in for a brawl of the 1st class.
(My biggest so far is about 35#, on a 7' popping rod, that I use for specks down on the salt, with 20# test mono. = That one dragged my little flat-bottom all over the lake, before he was netted.)

Also, WELCOME HOME brother-in-arms.

yours, satx
USA, Retired

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I just got my Lone Star Pass and will be doing some overnight camping at Pace Bend this summer.

My friend was just talking about us doing some catfish fishing so guess I will concentrate on Pace Bend since it is close to him. I will have to do my research on catfish techniques out of a kayak since I have been more involved in bass fishing.
Build a campfire, pull some chairs up to the water and drink beer fishing from there at night. Fish for bass during he day from your kayak. Or set some jug lines, we've had luck out there with them in the coves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To All,

Would someone who knows this area care to talk to me about LAKE TRAVIS & "simple stuff" like where to buy BIG goldfish (without paying pet shop prices) for live bait AND where to buy gasoline, which does NOT contain alcohol, for OB motors??
(I'm about 5-6 miles from Lake Travis & would like some basic lake information, PLEASE.)

BTW, sending a "newcomer" to the area a message that suggests "try fishing the San Marcos River" is WORTHLESS.

yours, satx

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well I used to know good spots on most of the local lakes but after the lakes came up a couple of years ago, I've had to start all over with learning the local lakes and I don't have nearly the time I used to have. My suggestion, find a spot of blue in Google maps, chuck some bait out, when they start biting don't tell anyone!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
stcow1,

Once I get my 14' Gamefisher up here, get the OB mounted on it & get boat/trailer registered in TX, I'll start mapping the underwater structures & then work Lake Travis like a "pea patch".

Until then, I'm just looking for a few spots to fish off the bank for a few weeks.
(Fwiw, I went looking for places to launch a boat this PM & "stumbled across" a couple of "fishy looking" spots.)

Reference: "don't tell anyone" there are MILLIONS of fish out there & telling people a general area to start "prospecting" hurts NOBODY.
(As I said, "our crowd" in SA go out of our way to help new residents to The Alamo City "get situated", so I find it "curious" that I've received NO help whatever on this site.)

yours, satx

·
Registered
287 Posts
stcow1,

Once I get my 14' Gamefisher up here, get the OB mounted on it & get boat/trailer registered in TX, I'll start mapping the underwater structures & then work Lake Travis like a "pea patch".

Until then, I'm just looking for a few spots to fish off the bank for a few weeks.
(Fwiw, I went looking for places to launch a boat this PM & "stumbled across" a couple of "fishy looking" spots.)

Reference: "don't tell anyone" there are MILLIONS of fish out there & telling people a general area to start "prospecting" hurts NOBODY.
(As I said, "our crowd" in SA go out of our way to help new residents to The Alamo City "get situated", so I find it "curious" that I've received NO help whatever on this site.)

yours, satx

Maybe I'm just reading into this but dude, you aren't going to get much help by criticizing the users on this forum and labeling a suggestion someone made as worthless. Many of us have no problem assisting members of this forum. In fact, I sent a pm to jake._.atx about a good place to start. Our main issue is with people who are not part of this forum who troll for information and never register. Many of us are catch and release anglers and we hate for our favorite places to "dry" up because people found out the fishing was hot in that location and went and kept every fish they caught. I know of many local ponds where you can spend an entire day and throw everything in your tackle box and get nothing due to overfishing.

Also, we absolutely enjoy helping out new people. I've gone out to meet people to help them with their set ups, show them how to work certain baits, etc. But, don't expect for us to just give you everything right away. I think someone mentioned becoming a contributing member first and that is a great start. Hell I think my first post was a 4 inch bluegill I caught in the creek behind my apartment. In no time, I met great people who showed me what to use, where to go and what to do. Just because we are tight lipped about where we fish doesn't mean we won't offer help to people we get to know through the forum. Might I also add that your profile says you joined yesterday and I don't see any previous posts where you asked for help. Last thing, lay off the caps lock buddy. It looks like you are yelling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
stcow1,

Yep. - I joined yesterday & had I asked the exact same question on the SA forum, I would have had at least 6-10 positive responses by the end of the 1st day. = So pardon me for suggesting that the Austin group is "rather unhelpful" to newcomers to town.

Further, your comment about "over-fishing" has been fully considered & discounted to its actual value to this discussion: zilch.
(In 60+ years of fishing, I've not seen a single instance of anything bigger than a farm pond being "fished out", presuming that the lake/stream/river is reasonably healthy.)

As to "catch & release", you should ask a fish biologist about the percentage of "released fish" that live through the experience, long term. = The actual percentage is quite low.
(That's why a considerable percentage of fish biologists are dead-set against "competitive fishing tournaments".)

As to "all caps", it's been my long experience that people who gripe/carp/complain/whine/whimper about minor things like typos, awkward syntax, "all caps", miss-spelled words & other similar minor things, have little of importance to contribute to a discussion among adults & just are being "small-minded"/hateful and/or they just want to say "something", even when they would do better to reserve comment/remain silent.

A Personal Note: You might consider removing "dude" from your comments to any mature man. = It's a sure sign of a smart-A$$ (& generally not very bright) kid's attempt at a "put down" & every man over 40YO, that I know, despises & is insulted being addressed by that term.

just my opinions, satx

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
stcow1,

Yep. - I joined yesterday & had I asked the exact same question on the SA forum, I would have had at least 6-10 positive responses by the end of the 1st day. = So pardon me for suggesting that the Austin group is "rather unhelpful" to newcomers to town.

Further, your comment about "over-fishing" has been fully considered & discounted to its actual value to this discussion: zilch.
(In 60+ years of fishing, I've not seen a single instance of anything bigger than a farm pond being "fished out", presuming that the lake/stream/river is reasonably healthy.)

As to "catch & release", you should ask a fish biologist about the percentage of "released fish" that live through the experience, long term. = The actual percentage is quite low.
(That's why a considerable percentage of fish biologists are dead-set against "competitive fishing tournaments".)

As to "all caps", it's been my long experience that people who gripe/carp/complain/whine/whimper about minor things like typos, awkward syntax, "all caps", miss-spelled words & other similar minor things, have little of importance to contribute to a discussion among adults & just are being "small-minded"/hateful and/or they just want to say "something", even when they would do better to reserve comment/remain silent.

A Personal Note: You might consider removing "dude" from your comments to any mature man. = It's a sure sign of a smart-A$$ (& generally not very bright) kid's attempt at a "put down" & every man over 40YO, that I know, despises & is insulted being addressed by that term.

just my opinions, satx
well, i could say something, and i will. YOU'RE NOT BEING VERY FRIENDLY YOURSELF, DUDE! lol
it's a relatively small group here, and it sometimes takes a bit to get responses. but we are definitely friendly. you, on the other hand, started blasting away from the get-go, so if i were you i probably wouldn't expect much here from now on. my gosh, the internet certainly sprouts some interesting folk...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts