Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm newly into fishing, although I've tried it intermittently as a child, I'm definitely still learning what/where/how in fishing. Anyhow, the first place I fished recently (months ago) was at twin lakes in Cedar Park by the YMCA. Had lots of luck there as far as sunfish and one good catfish that became a snack. More recently we went to Pflugerville Lake, not much luck until another fishergirl offered us her remaining worms (green ones, which was new to me). Only caught sunfish there, and only one was adult size, the rest were tiny. After that I tried Searight Park, off the fishing pier and closer to the dam. Two times there and not a fish. Today I tried Zilker park, off the end of the bike bridge and under the Barton Springs Rd bridge. I almost caught a giant turtle who liked my crawfish lure, but other than that I felt nibbles and got nothing.

For what its worth, I usually I go fishing with my young kids, and sometimes a friend of mine and her kids (3 and 5 year olds), so I could definitely use tips on some kid friendly places. Sometimes I go by myself though. Either way I'm mostly looking or some quick satisfaction fishing spots, even if its little fish, that's more fun than catching nothing. I like Searight Park but in two trips I caught nothing, so I'm a little put off by it.

I know the best times to fish are supposed to be within an hour of sunrise or sunset, but I am not a morning person, and usually by the evening I'm dealing with kids and bedtimes.

Is part of the problem just that summer time is not the best for fishing? I've tried lots of bait/lures, and I'm mostly hoping for a good eating fish like a catfish or bass. I got some spoons, crankbaits, plastic worms/grubs for bass and I've used real worms, chicken liver dough bait, and blood dip bait for catfish. I have a feeling that those all would work, if only the fish were there. I've read a bunch online for tips on how to tie knots and hook bait, so I mostly feel like I have some advantage over other newbies.

Any tips/advice would be great! Particularly if you can let me in on any top secret fishing spots, and the right kind of bait to use. I'm only limited by my ugly stick spinning reel/rod and what I could do with something like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Search drop shot technique on YouTube the one from bassfishing.com slap on a plastic worm and hold on. The Zoom brand Trick Worm has been dynamite for me caught both bass and catfish also Senkos are good. Good luck and keep fishing!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Lake Pflugerville can be tricky, especially with little ones since you're mostly limited to the piers to keep them safe. If they can handle themselves without getting injured on the rocks, fishing off the dam can yield some nice cats. Chicken livers wrapped in netting (elastic is best) seem to do pretty well there. Just be sure to pay close attention to the size and bag limits as there are exceptions to the statewide laws there. That lake is just lousy with sunfish and a tiny treble hook with bits of worm will have the kids catching plenty directly beneath the docs.

For largemouth bass, minimum length limit = 18 inches. For smallmouth bass, minimum length = 14 inches. No minimum length for spotted and Guadalupe bass. Daily bag for all four species of black bass = 5 in any combination. For channel and blue catfish, their hybrids and subspecies, minimum length limit = 12 inches and daily bag limit = 25 in any combination. For flathead catfish, minimum length = 18 inches and daily bag limit = 5.

Fishing Brushy Creek at Veteran's Park in Round Rock is pretty safe for the kids and will yield some good fish. My husband caught an 8# LMB out of there a few years ago. It's also loaded with carp, big carp, which are fun to catch and give the kids a thrill. I caught one that went 27" and it was a blast. But watch out for all the turtles, tho the kids might enjoy that. If you fish for carp, mix bran flakes with Big Red soda and roll it into balls, put it on a nice sized treble hook. Brush Creek is snakey but most are harmless diamond back watersnakes. There's an occasional undesirable element at Veteran's but during the day it's as safe as any other place I suppose.

Bright Lake at Old Settler's Park in Round Rock by the Dell Diamond is also very kid-friendly. Great playscape and all. There are catfish and bass in there but most are below keeper-size limits. There's a good amount of sunfish in there.

Good luck to you! Always nice to see people take kids fishing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips so far! I nearly caught some turtles tonight, they were definitely after several different lures I tried out. I did catch a perch or sunfish at Searight, well, sort of. I really caught a submerged tree branch, but somehow I gill-snagged the fish and got it almost all the way in before he wiggled off. I was really wondering how I could have caught something ABOVE where the bobber was. It was at least amusing. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts