Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fixing a few much needed items on my old boat, I picked up GHPHOTOGRAPHY at 1:45pm this afternoon.  Hit the Thanksgiving traffic and finding ourselves getting to Northshore ramp by 3pm. One other boat trailer in parking lot (Sheeter trailer). The white caps were in full force out of South.

Air Temp: 83 degrees
Water Temp: 68 degrees, main lake
Overcast to partly cloudy skies.
Winds: Sustained at 18mph, gusting to 31mph out of south.

At 3:30pm, started in discharge area. Missed a nice bass on Berkley Poggy shad. Wind and slight current made it hard to fish it slow. Moved out of discharge at 4pm (Only 1.5 hours left to fish) decided to look for matted thick grass. Found a section of shoreline that had grass in about 1-2ft of water. Immediately had blowups and caught a nice 17incher. After a major backlash, I picked up Gene's rod with 50lb braid, rod made by Baileys (St.Crouix) and a Ribbet Frog. The fun started...Blowups, fish on...Blowups, fish on....Misses...Big bass in the boat, heart still beating....In about an hour, boat 6 nice bass, and missed just that many. One blew up, and took me under my boat and into deep water and never saw it again. Then clamped down on drag and started catching and releasing nice bass....

Big bass of the day had a 7lb head, and a 4lb body. Whatz up with that? 5.98lbs oin the TPWD Estimation Chart.

Still not bad for 2.5hours of fishing this warm afternoon. Just not use to seeing 1 or 2 boat trailers at the ramp on such a nice day. I will be back. The last few times, the wind has NOT played a part in me going fishing...

Robert

PS: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Picture of one of the nice bass caught...Check out the skinny stomach!

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Re: NEAR GALE FORCE WINDS ON BASTROP-WEDNESDAY

I need to trade genes with that fish. If I had a 6-pack ab like that fish, I could get more ass than a toilet seat. Instead, I got a case and a half belly, and what good is that? Can't even weigh it in at a tournament. Nice head on that bass anyway Robert! Can't complain about quality head now can we?
:D

·
Registered
10,702 Posts

4C7F70797B6C414C29291E0 said:
I guess the fish was fasting for a bite of a water turkey on Thursday..LOL :D
I actually thought about serving water turkey to my family one year. I know plenty of Cajuns that swear that water turkey and nutria are both good table fare. Not sure that either are legal, but I don't have enough Cajun in me to try it. Guess I'll have to stick with regular land turkeys for now. Trytophan here we come!
:D

·
Registered
541 Posts

Ranger... you gotta stop with all the frog talk! Too much fun!
If you are missing fish on the Ribbit, try the new Stanley Double Take Hook... It takes a time or two to figure out how to rig it, but I PROMISE your hook up ratio will increase greatly (I use the weight-less)... I would never throw a frog in a tournament because I couldn't stand the misses...Until the past few months. I haven't been out without one tied on-

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Cody, thanks for the recommendation. I will invest in the lastest rig.

OR

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=69314.0

Thanks for all the comments. I am stilll learning the frog bite. It is heart stopping everytime..

Wish I was fishing this early morning before my turkey eating at 1pm.

Robert

·
Registered
466 Posts

So Robert, who showed you the shallow water frog bite on Bastrop?  ;)

That would have been a great fish in a paper tournament!  Shows it pays to brave the wind. Thats a nice thing about Bastrop - its always fishable somewhere even in a gale.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

RangerR77 - the frog bite was working for you yesterday afternoon?! Dang... it sure wasn't on at LA in the quinlan park area. Threw the frog for a bit - never got anything to blow up on it. Finally started throwing a diff topwater on the outside grass line and had one blow up to show for that but I missed that... fished only about a couple of hours before my trolling motor stopped working!!!  :-/

You think Jacky's gonna show up for work tmw?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So Robert, who showed you the shallow water frog bite on Bastrop?
Thanks to Bill's tip on Bastrop when he kicked my butt on his spro-frog jr...about 3 weeks ago. I used the spro frog to catch a 4.31lb bass and then broke off on a bass about 3 casts later..The only other frog I had in my box was the Ribbit frog. Now I am a believer...

Thanks to good friends like Bill that I continue to learn how to fish. ;)

As for catching bass on Basstrop, yes, Tuesday afternoon and evening was great times...Wish the sun would of stayed out a few more hours...LOL

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hello,

Kind of new to the area. Moved down last summer but have not had much time to fish. That was me Wednesday with the Skeeter trailer. Wish I had known about the frog bite. Me and my Bro in law caught alot of fish that day. Almost everyone on a TR trick worm. They were just taking it on the fall and you would see your line start to swim, set the hook and reel 'em in. Was alot of fun. Hard fishing with all that wind. Really like that lake I wll definitely be back there a bunch.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Went to Academy and purchased some of those Ribbit Double Hooks. At $4.29 for a package of two, they should catch!

Hope to try them out on the next trip to Bastrop or a lake in-which I use the Ribbit Frogs. The colder weather might turn the frog bite off, though.

It reminds me of the SPRO Frog hook. I rarely miss with the that double hook!

Thanks again Cody, for the suggestion.

Robert

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

554D5250600 said:
RangerR77 - the frog bite was working for you yesterday afternoon?! Dang... it sure wasn't on at LA in the quinlan park area. Threw the frog for a bit - never got anything to blow up on it. Finally started throwing a diff topwater on the outside grass line and had one blow up to show for that but I missed that... fished only about a couple of hours before my trolling motor stopped working!!!  :-/

I guess you had to be there earlier. I launched from Quinlan on Thanksgiving morning and had several blow-ups on the Ribbit frog. Only problem was they were all small. I caught several 12-13 inchers on it, but I did miss one good 2lb bite right at the boat. I was, however, targetting very specific areas of the grass...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

0B2C2A313B2C34211A3122362D2B2B580 said:
[quote author=554D5250600 link=1290653088/0#11 date=1290724802]RangerR77 - the frog bite was working for you yesterday afternoon?! Dang... it sure wasn't on at LA in the quinlan park area. Threw the frog for a bit - never got anything to blow up on it. Finally started throwing a diff topwater on the outside grass line and had one blow up to show for that but I missed that... fished only about a couple of hours before my trolling motor stopped working!!!  :-/

I guess you had to be there earlier.  I launched from Quinlan on Thanksgiving morning and had several blow-ups on the Ribbit frog.  Only problem was they were all small.  I caught several 12-13 inchers on it, but I did miss one good 2lb bite right at the boat.  I was, however, targetting very specific areas of the grass...[/quote]

Yeah, quite possibly. But really, conditions were far different on thanksgiving morning than they were the previous day. Quinlan was pretty exposed to the 10-15 mph winds that were blowing wed afternoon. Thanksgiving morning was awesome - cloudy/low pressure/prefrontal conditions... :) Like I said in another post, that morning, when I stepped outside for the first time - all I could think about was how anyone lucky enough to get outta there would prob whack them pretty good... :) and how sad it was my TM wasn't working anymore... :(

Gotta put out an APB for Jacky... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.