Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Collector (Chad) was nice enough to take me out on his boat today (amazing boat by the way). It was my first time bass fishing from a boat and I had a BLAST! Thanks again Chad. I enjoyed the conversation as much as the fishing. I learned a lot and will probably have a hard time sleeping tonight as I replay all the fish (and all my misses) we boated. Got to meet Tony out there as well. Good to meet you and hopefully it is not the last time.

We hit Lake Travis around 1:30 until dark. Caught around 30 total fish (Chad = 20, me = 10) 2lbs down to dinks (with a few Guads thrown in for good measure). We caught everything on shaky head jigs w/finesse worms in depths from 6ft down to 40ft along docks and walls. The fish would come in spurts, including Chad nailing two 2lbers back-to-back casts. He also caught the first "dalmation bass" in history. I'll send out pics on Monday as I left my card reader at the office. The crank bite was dead.

All in all, it was a super fun day out on the lake. Weather was great. Most spots we hit were sheltered from the wind. Nothing like going 60 mph on a glassy lake at dusk on the way home ;D

My wife should be afraid...very afraid of me getting a boat in the future. I didn't think my fishing addiction could get any worse...thanks Chad! See you in rehab ;)

G

·
Re: My first day bass fishing in a boat (Lake Trav

Good times for sure! ;D Nothing better than out on the lake catching some fish and chatting it up! 8) Thanks for cruizing along Michael, we'll have to do it again soon! Let me know when you can break away from moto for another trip out :)

Shakey head bite is still on on Lake Travis for sure. Good Times!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Definitely a nice bass. These are fairly common on Travis. There's probably at least one caught on my boat, 1 of 4 trips to that lake.
Have you ever heard of a "wacky jig"? It looks deadly, and I found it at the Optimum Baits website. I'm surprised Eric hasn't discovered these.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Regarding the "dalmation bass", I seem to catch many more of these in the winter than summer. One theory I read was that the spots are caused by hormone changes in the bass and are reduced after the spawn.

I have no idea if it's true but that is as good a theory as any other I've heard. However, I don't find nearly as many of these bass in other lakes compared to Travis.

Let's see if Robert chimes in with the facts... :)

·
Registered
9,803 Posts

All I could find:

What causes the dark blotches (pigmentation) on the skin of largemouth bass?

It is possible that this condition is genetic, viral, or related to some environmental factor unique to certain bodies of water that stimulates the increased production of melanin.  This unusual pigmentation (melanosis) has been observed on bass within most Tennessee reservoirs and in other areas of the country for many years.  The Fish Disease Diagnostics Laboratory at Auburn University is currently investigating the cause of hyperpigmented melanosis in Tennessee largemouth bass.

It is called hyper-pigmented melanosis and it is nothing to be worried about, according to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

EXAMPLE:
http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryF...s/LargemouthBassMelanosisLoudounNegus_jpg.htm

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.