Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second post! I picked up bass fishing a few months back and have loved it. I’m bank fishing lakes around Austin, primarily Town Lake, and thus far using finesse presentations - Ned rigs, small t-rigged zoom worms, and the occasional senko.

I recently bought a baitcaster reel and rod. What sorts of moving baits would you recommend for someone bank-bound and fairly new to this? I bought a few small finesse jigs when I placed the rod order based on a recommendation from a friend, but I’d love to start branching out into some stuff that moves, I just don’t know where to start. Any recommendations?

I’m on the bank, casting to structure and drop offs. I’m aiming to learn and build confidence, not set any records.

If winter isn’t the time to start moving lures, I’d appreciate any recommendations for the coming spring as well.

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
1/2 oz Rat-L-Trap for sure. Try a couple sizes of Chatterbait, 1/4oz & 3/8oz perhaps. Personally, I hardly ever throw any kind of jig. Every once in a while I’ll try a white swim jig.

You definitely want to try the Zoom UV swim worm. You can Texas rig it weedless and swim that one pretty good.

You want to stock up on some paddletail swim baits. Swing Impact Fat and all the copycats. I like to rig mine on Strike King Squadron Head. Here’s a pic of a couple of my go tos.
Plant Automotive tire Wood Hand tool Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1/2 oz Rat-L-Trap for sure. Try a couple sizes of Chatterbait, 1/4oz & 3/8oz perhaps. Personally, I hardly ever throw any kind of jig. Every once in a while I’ll try a white swim jig.

You definitely want to try the Zoom UV swim worm. You can Texas rig it weedless and swim that one pretty good.

You want to stock up on some paddletail swim baits. Swing Impact Fat and all the copycats. I like to rig mine on Strike King Squadron Head. Here’s a pic of a couple of my go tos.
Thanks for all the advice! I haven't tried the Zoom UV worm - I'll check it out.

Regarding chatterbaits - I'm really glad you mentioned that, because it's probably the bait that I know the least about. The one in your picture which looks like it has a plastic blade - what brand is that? I've never seen a plastic one before - is there a benefit to plastic over metal? When do you fish them?

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
The clear blade is the “Stealth Jackhammer.” I use this bait anytime I feel like I can afford to lose a $15 lure. It was gifted to me. If I were you, I’d buy the standard Z-man Chatterbait in 3/8oz. Get a white one and a green pumpkin one. Throw them without trailer to get a feel for them. Then experiment with trailers. Some anglers walk the bank of their favorite mud hole throwing only Chatterbait.

To be clear, the Zoom swim worm is the UltraVibe Speed Worm. I like the watermelon/red flake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like the rat-l-trap recommendation, maybe pick up a few suspending hard jerk baits you don't mind losing? Could work well casting straight out and running it back in to the bank. If you can get to an outcropping or point you can cast it down the bank and get more looks.

Will be different than using plastics but its fun and effective. Have to be willing to snag an occasional lure and go for a climb in the tree though.

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
I like your jerk bait suggestion. When I started bank fishing, the small tanks I fished had small largemouth and sunfish. I’d use Road Runners, In-line spinners and Rapala F-7 floater/diver. I also like the 1/4 oz Rat-L-Trap. All these lures are a little light to throw with casting gear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fishing from the bank I would always have a baitcaster with chrome black 1/2oz trap, soft plastics for texas rig, a spinnerbait, vibrating jig, and a few shallowish running squarebill cranks.

Then a second spinning setup with something really finesseee like a weightless floating trick worm, wacky senko, or very light small crankbait.

My biggest concern was losing hardbaits and being able to reach distant cover along the shoreline from limited open areas along the bank.

i prefer those hard to get to and heavily covered banks.

Just my two cents but I got tired of lugging a lot of tackle with me covering shoreline.

Jeremy loves telling the story of a old forum member that would travel to the US from Japan. His bank fishing technique was mostly buzzbait. He would make three cast: left, middle, right. If no bites he would move to a spot where his next cast would just overlap his previous cast. You can cover a lot of water that way and find those aggressive fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the detailed responses - I appreciate it! I just placed an order for some of the stuff recommended above. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@patx I've had lots of luck on Town Lake with a Zoom Magnum worm. Anything 7+" will do but bigger lure = bigger fish and I prefer it without a curly tail to avoid lure-spin, Color: Purple w/Blue Flakes, fished Texas Rigged on the bottom REAL slow. Like a few seconds between movements slow. Often they'll hit it on the way down or in the first couple movements.

Also protip a kayak will change everything for you, and a fishing kayak will be what you really want. They're expensive but hold resale value well if you don't mistreat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts