Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Wow, I kind of feel partially responsible for creating this "Grant Monster"

I am happy to say that Grant and I fished his first TTZ Wed night this year and we brought in a limit. Find the boat of your dreams and fish on...

I fished out of a big ranger up on fork in 30+ mph winds and it was nasty out there. That boat did great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, I kind of feel partially responsible for creating this "Grant Monster"

I am happy to say that Grant and I fished his first TTZ Wed night this year and we brought in a limit. Find the boat of your dreams and fish on...

I fished out of a big ranger up on fork in 30+ mph winds and it was nasty out there. That boat did great.
Not me, I had no part in encouraging him to buy a boat so we didn't have to fish the banks anymore. No part I tell ya!

·
Registered
468 Posts
if it was me I would trade the tracker in for the champion that gary has, your payment would be super cheap and have a nice boat that you could afford to make electronic upgrades to

·
Registered
827 Posts
I may go down and look at that champ Gary has too. Also there are a couple mid 2000's skeeters at fun n sun in Hurst that I want to look at if I can convince the wife to spend that much.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
1999 Camp. 191 137.JPG 1999 Camp. 191 133.JPG 1999 Camp. 191 131.JPG 1999 Camp. 191 137.JPG 1999 Camp. 191 133.JPG 1999 Camp. 191 131.JPG
if it was me I would trade the tracker in for the champion that gary has, your payment would be super cheap and have a nice boat that you could afford to make electronic upgrades to[/QUOTEA
Agreed, if you have to consider fuel and oil as a part of the monthly responsibility, and enjoy it, you may be spending to much. Upgrades, maintenance and other expenses will occur.

It is not new but it is super nice, Gary 512 250 9000

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Performance bass boats and fuel economy do not go hand in hand and in my book are at the bottom of the should I buy or not question with regards to monthly responsibilities. Operating cost are variable and change with use. Your monthly payment is not. Depending on the loan term , 12 to 144 months and beyond, interest cost should be more of a consideration. Interest cost/rent on money and depreciation will exceed fuel and oil if the loan is carried to term. I was raised with the attitude that if you can not pay cash for it you can not afford it. Short term loans on a depreciating asset are okay, however long term can get you in trouble. Negative equity is the devil. Stated another way ...you owe more than it's worth. I was a general manager of a large car dealership and we saw it daily. Customers , who owed significant balances on their trade did not understand that their car was worth what ever wholesale value was when they owed more and in some cases significantly more. My explanation was that the car is worth whats it's worth regardless of the owed balance. On occasion I asked the question... If you owed 0 on the car does it mean it's worth o. This statement was only used when they said HOW CAN IT BE WORTH X WHEN I OWE X ON IT. The moral of the story is do not buy more than you can afford , use and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Just curious to see what everyone is running and what kind of ride, speed (GPS), and gas mileage you get with your boat and motor combo. I'm looking at upgrading my boat next year and curious to see which set up delivers the best of all features. I'm sure Jack plate, prop pitch etc. can change things, but I'm just looking to get a general idea. I'm currently running a 60HP mercury 4-stroke on a 17'7" aluminum tracker. 7 MPG WOT @ 5800 RPM top speed 34MPH GPS. Stock prop no jack plate.

Thanks,
G
To answer you original question.

I currently have a 21' 10 '' Bullet 21 rdc w/ a Mercury 300 x . The boat has a 14 " set back jack plate and a 1:62 sportscaster gear case. I have only put 10 hours on the boat but here is what you can expect from a high perf. rig be it a Nitro, Skeeter, 2 stroke, or 4 stroke. Fuel consumption is contingent on a number of variables some of which have already been mentioned and some not. All engines/boat set ups have a sweet spot in terms of economy. This Bullet is equipped with a smart craft data monitor which indicates gal. per hour which range from .01 to 37 per hour depending on throttle and trim position. The best fuel economy is achieved at 3200 rpm or 49 mph gps with a 28 pitch prop equates to about 10 gals per hour. Oil consumption is minimal at these rpm's .
. Prop pitch , trim angle , density altitude , wind speed and load including power poles, fishing seats graphs which all create aerodynamic drag will increase these values. I spent some time in a Skeeter 20i with a 250 hpdi and it performed fantastic but consumption was excessive. The Bullet will burn almost 37 gals. per hour at 7200 rpm or 94 gps at WOT but I'm not strong enough to hold on to it that long due to wheel torque and fear of pitching a rod thru the cowl.

Fuel and oil cost are the cheapest things I put in the boat besides myself.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will agree with you Gary that cash is king for those who have the money to do so or the patience to save for a few years to do so, but in the same regard, that's why financing IS an option. A majority of people don't have lump sums of cash laying around but can afford a fixed monthly payment. And if you budget accordingly for a monthly payment that you CAN afford, then it's a fairly safe play. I mean if I have to save up for 5 years to purchase by putting back a little a month, to me it's the same as financing and making monthly payments, but I'm fishing now instead of dreaming of fishing one day. Also most boat financing requires a 10% down payment to show at least some financial responsibility and ability to save. Now if you don't have any savings, I will say you shouldn't finance anything and probably couldn't finance anyway. Just don't get out of control and blow out you debt to income ratio or finance what you can't afford. Also for people with good credit, you can finance a boat for as little as 3%. JM2C.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Heck yea, what's an extra $12,000-$15,000 in finances charges anyways. I will never know I am paying it because I am making monthly payments....they can't trick me.

If you can't write a check for a luxury item, you can't afford it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Probably about the same as 80,000 to 150,000 in finance charges on my 30 year mortgage. It definitely costs to finance, Truth in Lending breaks it down very clearly and I know exactly what I'm paying for and the interest involved, but a choice I agreed to pay for. If I don't struggle to make monthly payments I think that is the definition of "Afford to" But hell I could be wrong.....

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
Comparing a Mortgage interest/investment to a boat or vehicle investment is apples to oranges if you ask me. Yes, you pay interest on a mortgage but you're also paying for something that is appreciating in value. As soon as you buy a vehicle or a boat their value plummets as soon as you pull it away from a dealer. I don't think Gary is suggesting not to finance at all, but implying if you are going to invest in a boat don't finance it for so long that your upside down on it for the majority of the life of the note. Personally, If I couldn't afford a boat without going longer than 60 month's(at the absolute max) I wouldn't consider it, same as a vehicle.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just simply stating that everything we finance has a price. One is obviously a better investment than the other, but they all cost money period. A monthly payment is a monthly payment. I appreciate all the input and trying to help, but at the end of the day I'm impulsive, I like my toys, I've got great credit, and I'll buy/finance what makes me happy, wise decision or not. Happy fishing!

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
I didn't mean to come across as questioning your judgement, I was simply stating the way I look at things financially. A huge part of purchasing a boat is it's value to you, regardless of what you pay for it(all fisherman that own a boat can attest). I'll be the first to admit I miss boat ownership constantly, being able to hook up and take off on a whim and put a 20lb sack in the boat or a PB is hard to beat, and certainly makes the investment justifiable when it happens. I'm looking forward to being able to do it again myself.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts