Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to have a fish fry so went out on Austin early to beat the heat. Put in at Quinlin Park and drove a little and found a rock wall with some floating grass above the 12ft water. We decided to put some tiny jig heads on and some worm, then let that sink below the floating weeds. I used a tiny crankbait that was firetiger. I would toss that right next to grass beds and let that slowly sink, then a slow retrieve. We caught about 15-20 BIG perch around .5-1lb (or 2 stringers full), in just a few short hours. also caught one little cat and a few dinks. Fished until idiots kicked us off the water :mad:.

Stringers with 20 something perch + 1 cat

Stringers held up

Stringers on ground

The biggest perch sized up to my size 9.5 crock :D

All in all a successful day... and eats :D ;D

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: LA perch

those people whose wakeboard on the thin side of the lake where you fish, right in front of you, way to close. oh well, thats what I get fishing in the summer on lake austin on a sunday :p

· Registered
95 Posts
Re:  Giant LA perch

There are some bigguns in LA.. glad to hear you got on to them..they are a blast to catch and even tastier to eat. I generally catch more bass when I'm perch fishing then when I'm bass fishing.. lol

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 1lb+ LA perch

Haha yes that was us moonraker (i'm the skinny 14 year old w/out the shirt, who caught 80% of the fish... Hense the name ;D). forgot the cleaning knives so went old fashion and used the old pocket knife. But those things are fun to get after :D

· Registered
140 Posts
Re: 1lb+ LA perch

Good call on the bluegill/bream/sunfish/perch LA - it's one of my favorite things. I took two nephews, 13 and 8, two weekends ago and we cleaned up, kept about 25 and caught about 60 total, just a tiny hook, split shot about 3 in above it, 4 lb test on an ultralight, no bobber. Teaches bass fishing skills, feeling the bite... and nothing is cooler than frying and eating your fresh catch.

· Registered
124 Posts
Re: Monster LA perch

Fishing King, not sure if your even interested in this but last year I caught a 1.18lb Redeared Sunfish and a 3.51 White fish off those same rocks. Just happen to pull up the Lake Austin records for those fish and both were records. Had them weighed on a certified scale and submitted the Texas Parks and Wildlife. They sent me a Big Fish award, Water Body Record certificates.

· Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Monster LA perch

mhm nice. My little bro. caught a 1.5 or 1.6 lb redbreast sunfish and got it certified and now holds the state record for it in the catch and release section. caught it 2 days ago.. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.