Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would mention this and get it out there. There is a Monday night tournament on Bastrop, from 6 to 9.
Weigh in tournament. $40.00 bucks a team. I wont go into detail, but there it is for any of you who might be interested. You pay and weigh in at North Shore Ramp.

There was 14 or so teams last night, nice little fish fast tourney..... Six pounds something took first place last night.
Come on out and try your luck. All you need is a limit of under slot fish which is 14 inches to win. LOL Seems like every darn fish we caught was 14-1/8 or larger. It's defiantly a challenge to bring a sack in, but fun either way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would love to try my hand in that.....BUT, no way in hell possible. Get off work in mid-town Austin @ 5pm then try to get to Bastrop before launch.....ain't happening. Y'all have fun & catch a couple for me...Tight Lines to ya!!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don, you need a fishing partner to arrive first, pay and then join in on the fun when you get there. Catching fish under 14 inches isn't easy though. They also have big bass pot, so you can try for that one fish over 21 as well. You catch one over and a few unders and you win big time. Big bass pot and total weight.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's kind of the challenge, because it's very difficult to do. When you are on sold three pound fish and you have to make yourself move to catch smaller fish is a form of mental discipline just the opposite of which we are custom to. But I can't tell you how many 14 plus inch fish we had to toss back, just a tad to big. And you only have three hours to do this in. It's fun, you're gonna catch fish no matter what, but find the smaller guys isn't as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That's kind of the change, because it's very difficult to do. When you are on sold three pound fish and you have to make yourself move to catch smaller fish is a form of mental discipline just the opposite of which we are custom to. But I can't tell you how many 14 plus inch fish we had to toss back, just a tad to big. And you only have three hours to do this in. It's fun, you're gonna catch fish no matter what, but find the smaller guys isn't as easy as it sounds.
That's kind of like "fun size" candy to me. Not sure what's so fun about eating a tiny piece of candy... and not sure what's so fun about purposely trying to catch smaller fish. Just can't wrap my brain around it. :p

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
That's kind of like "fun size" candy to me. Not sure what's so fun about eating a tiny piece of candy... and not sure what's so fun about purposely trying to catch smaller fish. Just can't wrap my brain around it. :p

I won the ABF fish fry tournament twice on Bastrop. Once with Trey and Waylon and once with Benny. We were able to wrap our heads around the catching unders concept

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I won the ABF fish fry tournament twice on Bastrop. Once with Trey and Waylon and once with Benny. We were able to wrap our heads around the catching unders concept
haha, well good for you, Matt. :D Obviously some guys get a kick out of trying to be the "king of unders" so to speak, and if that's your deal, have at it. Not trying to be argumentative here or trying to insult guys who like these types of tournaments. I just voiced an opinion, which really didn't need to be voiced in the first place I guess... but I did. Just like there are guys who like little boobs and guys who like big boobs and guys who like 'em all... I guess you could say that I prefer to target big bass.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
haha, well good for you, Matt. :D Obviously some guys get a kick out of trying to be the "king of unders" so to speak, and if that's your deal, have at it. Not trying to be argumentative here or trying to insult guys who like these types of tournaments. I just voiced an opinion, which really didn't need to be voiced in the first place I guess... but I did. Just like there are guys who like little boobs and guys who like big boobs and guys who like 'em all... I guess you could say that I prefer to target big bass.
I hear ya. I was just pointing out that slot lake tournaments can be fun. BTW when you pattern those smallmouth this year on Belton, please let me know. I'd like to charter a trip with you.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Will do, sir. Historically, late summer/fall has been pretty good for that smallmouth bite on Belton for me.

I hear ya. I was just pointing out that slot lake tournaments can be fun. BTW when you pattern those smallmouth this year on Belton, please let me know. I'd like to charter a trip with you.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has no bragging rights that's for sure, it's just a fun thing to do and a little harder than one would think. Most of the guys look like they were enjoying the cold ones more so than the tournament. Just a small get together with a little cash on hand for catching some dinks. Since I have not seen it posted any where, I thought I would throw it out there for anyone who was interested. I friend of mine wanted to fish it and asked if I would fish it with him and I said sure, lets go do this. We had a hard time finding some dinks, almost everything we caught was 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, so we still had fun. We probably boated 20 fish and I haven't been on this lake in a long time.

·
Registered
736 Posts
This is the first time I've heard somebody brag about catching a limit of fish for 4 lbs. To each their own.
Actually the winning bags have been over 6 pounds and the last 2 Mondays an over was brought in each night. First one was 5.82# and this past Monday a 5.52 was brought in. Their winning weight was over 8 pounds. It is a fun 3 hour tourney and a lot of limits have been coming in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts