Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Cobra 201D Bass Boat that the motor has died on. I had a Johnson 200, but am trying to figure out of I can use a 150 horsepower motor on it. I would like to be able to cruise between 35 and 45 miles per hour at a minimum. Will a new 150 work? I am stuck between a rebuild around $7000 or a new Evinrude 150 for $10000. Can't afford a new 200. Evinrude is going out of business so they are discounting their motors a fair amount, and my electronics will work with the new motor. I just want the boat to get me around and be comfortable on the water. Love some advice.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know if a 150 will get you on plane very quick. That is a 20' boat and I am sure has some weight to it. If you prop down it would probably work but you would lose all your top end. But then again a 4 blade prop might be the ticket.

I have a Yamaha 150 2 stroke on a 18'6 and it does fine. Might look for a gently used 200.

I will say this. After doing a lot of research on motors, prop, pad height, and jack plates there is a black art in boats, motors, and what you can do with them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts