Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my water pump on my 90hp '00 3 cyl. I have the 4 side nuts off and the nut behind the trim tab is off. I can see a slight crack of light between the upper and lower unit but the back end(next to transom) is hanging tight. Not much of a crack there. I've tried prying apart with tapered 2x4's and a hammer but it doesn't want to let go. For now I've sprayed some wd40 in there so it soaks over night.

I'm reluctant to pry around with steel objects since I don't want to bugger up the castings but I'm not sure how to get more aggressive with it. This is probably the first time that this lower unit has come off. Its been in mostly fresh with an ocasional salt trip on my Kenner. I took the prop off just to make the whole thing easier to handle. I can see a pin in the gap near the trim tab and it does not look at all corroded. The anode looks to be doing its job. I do have it in forward gear if that makes any difference.

suggestions?

Don

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tks Gary, I'll ping you Tuesday. I'm assuming that you are off for the holiday. I did this on an older Johnson and it was very easy, although aligning the 2 floppy water tubes was dicey on the re-assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts