Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke my jinx on that lake last weekend. On Saturday, I pulled in 6 4-5 pounder. On Sunday, I hit the jackpot getting a 7 pound 4 ounce (221/2inch) bass and a 8 pound 10 ounce (241/2inch)bass. I caught a few 6 pounders and a couple of dinks as well that day. I took the two big ones home and took them to the Martinez brothers to turn into trophies. I went fishing there today but I only managed to pull in 3 2pounders. The fishing has drastically changed on that lake. I've been using watermelon colored brush hugs hooked weedless and I simply worked the trees that line the lake starting on the east side. It was just nasty today, I managed to pull one in on a spinner but I couldn't find the big ones. That lake is one weird lake. I have no idea what I had such a lucky day, but I'm sure as hell happy. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why in the world would you remove two female bass from a lake that is self supporting? You should have taken the measurments and a picture and returned them.

You wonder why the lake is so wierd. People need to realize that just because you catch a fish that is considered a trophy doesn't mean you have to keep them. Especially when it is a public park lake that is less than 100 acres.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:-[ :-[ :-[Ditto on the above message. Those places are for people who don't own $40,000 bass boats and are stuck on the bank. Taking the away the opportunity for someone else to catch a decent fish is selfish!!!!!!!!!!
Bed time is replenishment time!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry you feel the way that you do. I'm not here to argue the legitimacy of what I did, because frankly I'm in my full right to do so.
The big fish are still there and will still be there. It was a special day and a very happy day and I don't regret my decision at all (plus I didn't have a camara). Anyone who knows me, knows that I follow the rules judiciously and I throw back 95 percent of what I catch.
Will the lake survive, yes. Why do you think they imposed the 18 inch limit in the first place? If the fish over 18 inches are taken out, that means other fish can get bigger (really it's quite simple). Do you think I fished out that whole lake? Are you for real? Two fish won't spawn this year, and the lake will die?
I honestly do respect why you're upset. There is a surely a reason for catch-and-release, without a doubt. Again, I had 2 bass made into trophies for a great day, and I don't regret it at all. If that makes you angry, then you need to get a life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and the reason why that lake is "weird" is:
1. It's the muddiest lake I've ever seen. Visibility is nil.
2. The primary food source isn't clear to me, but from what I've seen it's probably the huge crawfish I've seen wandering around.
3. It's so freaking windy (therefore making it muddy)
4. During the late spring early summer until mid-fall, the lake is covered underwater with a mat of vegetation making it difficult to fish.
5. Snakes, lots of them, big ones that swarm in balls.

My opinion why that lake has produced such large fish is the lack of fishing pressure from boats, the difficult fishing conditions (extreme wind/muddy water), and the fact that it's almost impossible to fish 3/4ths of the year.

So if you have a kayak, I'd fish there now. It's your best chance to get a big fish (which u can either keep or throw back at your discretion).

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Not complaining here....just my opinion...

Texas laws have allowed the bigger bass to be caught on Lake Austin, Fayette County and others due to slot limit laws...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, judging from Rangers posted article, those biggun's were proably among the largest in the tiny, tiny lake.

That thing doesn't get much deeper than about 8' in one spot, most of it is a 4' deep flat, and if you ever fish saltwater you'll understand that's why it gets muddy with wind.

One must consider both points, you have the right to keep fish and that's your decision, but what if everyone kept those fish?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought the original post was a joke but I'll give my 2 cents worrth on the premise that this isn't just someone pulling our chains.

Why would anyone want to take the fish out today when you can simply take a picture and get a replica made. Cameras are CHEAP and I never go fishing without one even if that means stopping at the convenience store and buying one. There may not be a law against it but common sense...sanity...stewardship tell me not to take fish out that can be there for someone else to catch and to get bigger.

Taking those fish out is just plain FOOLISH ...Period.

If the fisherman is new to fishing i can understand that he might not have a well formed understanding of the value of the trophy sized fish.

They all don't all get bigger there's only a few that make it to trophy size, so they are extremely valuable and should be guarded carefully.

:mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, Rambler I respect your opinion. There are ways to correctly express an opinion without provoking an argument (which I think u did). My comment wasn't directed at you but at the guy who had a hissy fit.

Do fish live forever? By your logic "Lipjerker", in a small isolated lake, you should easily have 12-13 pounders in that lake. In fact, fish should all grow to be record sizes in these ponds if we just threw all the fish back. Right? Is that what you're saying? So if you had a pond which you put some bass in but no one ever fished all the fish would become huge? You need to read that link that Rambler put up. This lake has been 3 fish over 18 inches for awhile I'm guessing, and it still produces this level of fish. Foolish or not "Lipjerker" again, I stand by my decision.

This is my last post concerning this issue. I really didn't think people would get their panties-up-in a wad because somebody (and not just me) is going to these taxidermists in town and keeping them in business. Either way, I'm not wasting anymore time on this.

Final question for you guys:
How many people on this site would put a 12/13/14/15/16 pounder back? How many people have trophies in their home? How about deer? Think about your own behavior before you judge.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Doc, I dont see a post from Rambler on this thread so let's keep him out of it, he's probably on LA right now pulling 10lbers off their beds!

Cant we all just get along? You had a great day fishing and fish of that size are definitely trophies from such a small body of water. Im sure you knew there was going to be a mixed response before you posted...glad you had the huevos to still post.

Speaking of cameras and taking pics of trophy fish...

Can you say TROPHY TROUT fish fry?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My bad, I meant Ranger. Either way, I'm trying to enjoy a day off and this is rather annoying. Sorry to Rambler.

Anyways, successful fishing to everyone. ;D

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
AGAIN... I posting an opinion....

I am sorry to offend anyone on this website..There are others that have the same opinion as I ......

There is nothing wrong with taken your 5-bass limit of big bass on any small pond, based on the TPWD laws.

Hope to meet you out there soon....Call me and we will hook up...423-4378.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find it very, very difficult to argue with this logic:

"Why would anyone want to take the fish out today when you can simply take a picture and get a replica made. Cameras are CHEAP and I never go fishing without one even if that means stopping at the convenience store and buying one. There may not be a law against it but common sense...sanity...stewardship tell me not to take fish out that can be there for someone else to catch and to get bigger."

And is seven pounds a trophy? I caught my biggest fish out there a couple weeks ago and you couldn't have paid me money to keep it. Watching the toad swim away was maybe the best part.

Yes, you're within your rights. But it just doesn't make much sense to me keep a fish unless you're gonna eat it.

People can argue about this until they're blue in the face, but it just boils down to a fundamentally different outlook on fishing in general. As much as you can't understand how we could question your rights, some of us can't comprehend taking a pregnant hog and throwing her in the bed of our trucks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was the argument that was originally linked to on the other website. I think it explains my point well.

"I don't see why everyone gets upset about killing a fish with "thousands of eggs" in her. What difference does it make when you kill her? If I catch and keep that same fish, two months before the spawn or two months after the spawn, it's still dead. It isn't going to spawn again. If I kill a doe deer before it's pregnant or after, it's dead. If I kill a trophy buck it is never going to impregnate another doe. It's dead. That old fish, that old buck has already lived it's life. It has reproduced itself a number of times, in the case of the fish, thousands of times over it's lifetime. It's genes are already in the gene pool. You're not taking them out.
A big bass, or a big deer, is not a sacred cow. It's a fish. Plain and simple. If we are going to say we shouldn't keep big bass, or kill big deer, where are we going to draw the line? If it's wrong to keep a 14 pound fish, what is "Ok" to keep? A 12? 10? 8? 6? 4? 2? Ok. How about a 1 pound fish? Is it ok to keep a one pound fish? Ok. Why is it ok to keep a one pound fish but not a fourteen pound one?

Now we're starting to get very close to the argument that PETA and the like would make that say it's not ok to keep any fish. There is not a big jump in logic. If a fourteen pound fish is too valuable to keep, then why isn't a one pound one? If you say we shouldn't keep any fish, then why are you trying to hurt them? If you're so worried about that fish spawning why are you out there harassing them? If you say "Ok, we won't fish during the spawn." Why? Then why is it ok to harass them the rest of the time? It takes a long time to grow a trophy fish? Then why take the young one before it ever has a change to live a long time?

The minute we start to assign any kind emotional protection to any animal, that's the minute we start to play into the hands of those who would stop us from doing the things we all like to do, when it comes to fishing, and hunting. Even posts like this one can be pointed to by those who are against us as example of "See, even THEY know it's wrong to kill a fish. It's not just us."

If you don't want to keep a fish, or kill a deer, that is your decision. Personally I'm too lazy to keep fish, and I quit deer hunting because I didn't want to drag the things out of the woods anymore. But I don't condemn anyone for doing it as long as they obey the laws. We pay for biologists to monitor the resource and we expect them to modify the seasons and the limits according to what the resource can handle. If they don't do that, it's time to fire them and get people who will.

Somewhere along the line, Ray Scott's idea of "Don't kill your catch," has become corrupted. We have turned it from a suggestion into a commandment. When it was started waste was very real problem. People would bring in stringers of fish, take pictures and dump the fish in the trash. That was the kind of mentality that "Don't kill your catch" was intended to stop. Not the taking of a few fish to eat, or a fish of a lifetime. It was meant to stop the abuse of the resource. Not the use"

by Cajunbass

Ranger I have no problem with you (please read what I said, I'm trying to give you a compliment), I think you as well as Ugly_Jacket explained your points well. And for the record, I did catch-and-release on that lake plenty.

It's funny I've finished here and there all my life but I finally really got into bassfishing a year-ago now that I've finally finished my schooling. When I posted originally my concern was not about the catch-and-release but, rather, should I let anyone know that you can actually catch those fish they show on the internet for Meadows. I feel like this is an argument about abortion or the Iraq War or something when it's just...catch-and-release.

Anyways, AirFob is the Fob part of ya name short for what I think it is (I'm asian so it's ok)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
onpoint said:
:-[ :-[ :-[Ditto on the above message.  Those places are for people who don't own $40,000 bass boats and are stuck on the bank.  Taking the away the opportunity for someone else to catch a decent fish is selfish!!!!!!!!!!
Bed time is replenishment time!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please..... Bank fishing is for people that don't have 40k rigs??? What kind of logic is that??? I don't have a 40k rig, but there's lots of time the boat stays in the garage and I go bank fishing!!!
By the way, fish don't judge you by your rig!!! It's the fisherman that catch the fish, not the boat!!! I know lots of fisherman with tubs that barely float that can get the job done.

Shane ;D

·
Registered
49 Posts
davec said:
I wish people would quit complaining about what people do with a fish that is caught within the laws of the state...  ::)
I'm with Dave on this one!!!

If you don't put it on your wall, someone else might! You only live once! And your well with in your rights!

I have one on the wall from Lake Austin, don't think I'll add another. Sorry, but I feel one or two... or maybe even four in my life time aren't going to hurt things.

How many people you know with more than two mounts on their wall???

How many people you know take one over 8 home to eat???

My dad has one over 6 on his wall that came from Lake Stillhouse. That was a monster back then! What size are they pulling out of Stillhouse now???

Congrats! On your big fish day!

I can't wait for Lake Pflugerville to start producing monster fish!

Shane ;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well......... I work these lakes with TPWD every year and can tell you that there are a lot of real big bass in that lake. As far as eating goes, the best eating are the 2 - 4 LB class. After that they are old and don't have that tenderness and flavor.
On the other hand, why would any, "So called angler" i.e.... "SPORTSMAN" keep a Bass over 13 LBS...?
TPWD will give you a replica, post your name in the books, and milk her for the genes, then put her back in the very lake she came from. You get the glory, the Wall Hanger.... and your very own write-up on a Web- Site that is viewed by tens of millions every year.
That is just plain stupidity!
I hope most of you realize that the taxidermist takes the fish, drops it in a bucket of plaster and makes a mold... then gives you a replica. He then takes the fish home and eats it. (Or passes it to one of his friends to eat.)
The other side of this argument is an impoundment as small a Meadows holds only so many fish......... and these giants do spawn 10,000,000 babies that almost entirely, up to 99.9%, become food for the larger fish... But would you agree, "they have to eat something?"
You are just robbing their food chain and hurting this tiny environment.
Although you are these BIG GAME hunters and the Rough and Tough Angler that went through acres and just have to have a carcass to show off... As YOUR Trophy. If you were to try to brag on a fish from one of these ponds, in the back of my mind I would be saying, "What an idiot!"

Some of you are just to ignorant to look and see the "WHOLE BIG PICTURE"

You just don't get it.....! ???

1 - 20 of 78 Posts