Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread similar to fishing reports that let people know what the fish are hitting. I guess knowing about tried-and-true lures and presentation are good, but I am also talking about dialing in to those special lures, presentations, or color/patterns that are really hot right now.

If I may suggest a format, perhaps we can ID patterns that share:

Environment/Time of Day Used/Water Quality
Lure
Color
Presentation
Anything that makes this lure presentation really special

I will start things off:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHALLOW WATER CRANKBAITS: INKS LAKE

Lots of LMB caught over three weekends using shallow water CBs on Inks Lake. I have fished area around from the South Pier from a boat, the North Fishing Pier, and a few other bank areas.

Environment/Time of Day Used/Water Quality: Clear and overcast, early to mid-morning, Clear to lightly stained
Lure: Rapala DT3s (Fat), H2O CRS in Natural Colors, Mann's Baby 1-
Color: Natural colors, but specifically the H2O in American Shad (kind of a darker blue-chrome mix with holographic scales) ***Nothing caught on white, chartruese, or fire-tiger colors, go figure!
Presentation: Erratic, quick jerks on fast retrieve
Special: These bass strike short so I replaced all tail trebles with VMC Surelock hooks in red, Gamakatsu Red EWG #4s in the front

The largest LMB was about a 7lb-er caught with the H2O American Shad shallow CB (2-5') just over a spawning bed. I spotted lots of baby bass and cast into the middle of them. Landed this one on the first cast to that spot. Lots of dinks too, but overall this seems like a good pattern right now for bank, pier, and boat fishing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its too bad more people aren't participating, it would be great for beginner anglers like myself,

Location Around Tom miller (LA & LBL)
Environment/Time of Day Used/Water Quality: all times of day, clear
Lure: Spinner bait in chartreuse, white (had tons of luck and caught my biggest bass on these) just reeling and occasional twitching,
3/8oz shad in a light color (only sunfish in austin) fast retrieves and quick jerks,
3-5ft crankbait black/white and red spots caught a few small bass fast retrieves,
also tried worms not senko, poppers, and had no luck

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't want to seem like I'm crappin' on the idea or the thought here, but I think the reason that no one has really participated in this thread is because this info can already be found in the reports section of the site. Seems a little redundant to try and have this here too. The whole point of the reports section is to post a report about where you fished, what you caught, and how you caught them. Some people include baits / techniques while some do not... but the people that don't, usually don't for a reason, and aren't going to post it here either.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was just an idea. The sad part is that most people have made this site just like any other social cesspool, which is less about fishing and more about locker room antics. It's a sad testimony and as so many others have pointed out, those folks who really want to learn and share more about fishing just get turned off and go elsewhere. That the administrators of this site let it happen is sad.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Like I said, I wasn't trying to rip your idea apart and wasn't trying to join in on the "locker room antics" that you mentioned... which are in fact pretty rampant around here. You're right, it was just an idea... and like all ideas... some ideas work, and some don't. I was just trying to explain why this one isn't working.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
It was just an idea. The sad part is that most people have made this site just like any other social cesspool, which is less about fishing and more about locker room antics. It's a sad testimony and as so many others have pointed out, those folks who really want to learn and share more about fishing just get turned off and go elsewhere. That the administrators of this site let it happen is sad.
Not badgering you Poppa,

But the "majority" of the usual posters on here fish together often. This site is comprised of beer drinking buddies with a fishing problem.
I think we have a pretty talented group of anglers that are more than willing to offer advice to anyone. With well over 17,000 members, some individuals are relunctant to post their specific bait or technique on an open forum for obvious reasons. However, most people are very fourthcoming with good information via PM.

With that said, your idea is not a bad one. But there needs to be a better way to present the information. As Bizness stated there is some good information in the fishing reports that are better catagorized by specific bodies of water rather than a hodgepodge format. It's a lot of information to read through to get to the meat and potatoes.

And if you feel this site has become a "cesspool", your entitled to your opinion.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the title of the post as well? I have never asked for anyone to give me a "Lure Report", I have asked for a "Fishing Report", which I get in the reports section. It was a good idea, just don't see a need here.

Also note that the people who participate in the locker room antics and have turned this forum into a "cesspool" also happen to be people who are as forthcoming as possible with relevant information. I have never once hesitated to offer help where I can and I post detailed reports, often telling people where I was fishing and with what. When someone asks a question about something I am familiar with, I offer my input, so does Dustin, Waylon, Dez, Scott and all the others on here who like to joke around and BS. Some of us may be a little more off color than others, but you cannot accuse anyone of us of not trying to help others.

I would also love for anyone to point me to another site that provides as much real time, relevant information concerning fishing in Central Texas. It can't be done. There are other good sites out there, but the volume of content and detail are lacking or they are not pertinent to this region.

This site has changed, all things do. But I know for a fact that this site is seeing traffic like it has never seen before, which in reality, is what the owner of this site is concerned about.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My opinion, fishing is easy. Catching is tough, catching good numbers or size is even tougher. My experience is most fisherman will tell you what they used to catch em on but won't say where or give details. The best thing to do is to read up on how to fish seasons, water type, etc. and to get on the water as often as possible and take up as many offers to be a backseat or go fish with someone more experienced. I've gotten great help by fishing with only a few guys and their knowledge has helped a lot. I think people just don't want to tell their knowledge to some random joe online. I know I'll spill the beans to anyone I fish with but hesitate to share some stuff online.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My opinion, fishing is easy. Catching is tough, catching good numbers or size is even tougher. My experience is most fisherman will tell you what they used to catch em on but won't say where or give details. The best thing to do is to read up on how to fish seasons, water type, etc. and to get on the water as often as possible and take up as many offers to be a backseat or go fish with someone more experienced. I've gotten great help by fishing with only a few guys and their knowledge has helped a lot. I think people just don't want to tell their knowledge to some random joe online. I know I'll spill the beans to anyone I fish with but hesitate to share some stuff online.
^ + 1,000,000

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yea, a lot of guys here will share information in the reports sections. But there are also a lot of guys that will not give sepcifics. The reasons for that is that they are tournament fishing and thats all about the money for most. Personally, I will tell friends where and how I caught them. But I doubt I would give full details on an open forum. I would let people know that this lake fished well a this time with a particular kind of bait. But thats probably about it. But ask me personally and I have no issues helping. Not like I have a lot to offer as of yet, but I am trying.
I am scheduled in 2012 to fish every central Champs and TTZ tourny, All my club tournies, some of the Media bass individual tournies and have already payed for the FLW tourny at Sam Rayburn that is next October. So you can see that I have a lot of money tied up on this next season. Many thousands just in entry fees alone. And for me to give up a certain spot, bait, technique ect.. would be foolish on my part.

I dont drink so I am not part of the drinking buddy crowd here. I am still pretty new and I have met some great people through this site and on the water. And on a personal level they have all been very helpful. I also try to return the favor if it would help any of them. I hope to meet a lot more personally this season and grow with my list of fishing friends. This helps me in getting better and maybe them as well. But there are too many guys that will not share. And they lurk around or do on line searches for any information they can get before a tournament. They arent my friends so I dont see the need to help the enemy.

But on the other hand. As SkeeterDon ( Donnie ) told me. He'll tell anyone whatever you want to know. And be 100% about telling you. But that doesnt mean your gonna catch a fish. You still have to hit the right spot, present that bait perfectly, feel the bite, get that hookset, fight that fish to the boat or out of the docks and then you still gotta get it into the boat. So he personally isnt that worried about sharing info.

As for this thread. I think just keeping it in the reports section is good. There are too many variables to fishing and this would go on forever. You would get 100 different ways to fish LA due to weather conditions, water flowing or not, day, night, cloudy, raining, water temp so on and so on.

For instance. I had a FLW pro tell me not to fish a certain spot at a certain lake. There arent any fish there. And also what baits to use in color and type. I caught 2 fish on his spots. Not one fish on his baits. And killed tham at the spot never to be fished on my baits. So reports are a decent guide for a little direction. Thats about it.

Hell. I know guys that KILL monster fish at LA on swim baits. I have never caught a swim bait fish. Just doesnt work for me. But I'll keep trying. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No offense taken on my part... However, what an interesting reaction. You post a humble idea and it doesn't take- no problem and no harm done. I didn't loose any sleep over it. It was meant for those that were willing to share- every day isn't a tournament after all. BUT... You get a little critical about the site and wow, instant reaction.

Sounds like the priorities here are still off a bit. This post had not been commented on for weeks until I wrote something slightly critical of SOME of the site content. So sad...

I still like the site though, and like so many others just wish the bar was raised a bit for the good of all. As for the other stuff, isn't that what facebook is for?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I try to help people and have no problem doing it. When you read reports pay attention to the little things. And what is working on one lake will more than likely be working on the other similar type lakes. I even read the pickle reports not because I chuckle about how hard they think those pickles fight ;) and enjoy the stories but usually they are good at telling me where shad are and when the hybrids and stripers have moved up against the shallow banks in the spring. Why they cuss the true bass is beyond me. Weed through the **** and put the pieces of the puzzle together. May take several reports from several people but each one leaves enough little clues.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
.........isn't that what facebook is for?

Sorry PH, I am a male over the age of 35 therefore I am not allowed to be on facebook. I agree with a lot of what Johnny and others said, look in the fishing reports and you can glean some knowledge. If a person was inclined to they could go through the black bass fishing reports month by month, lake by lake, year by year, and put together a pretty impressive database to reference.

On a personal note, all the people I have met face to face from this site have been friendly and helpful. The rowdy people are usually the friendliest.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Generally speaking, you can only be as good as the poeple you associate yourself with. Look at the Top 10 posters on ABF...that's a very talented field of anglers to be learning from.

ABF will give you a good start, but if you want to take your game to the next level, I can guarantee you will learn more hanging out at a Tue or Wed Night weigh-in or under 360 than you will ever learn reading every single fishing report on ABF. You may get your ass handed to you and end up donating $40, but the info is well worth it. But on the other hand, lord knows I've donated thousands of dollars to hang out with Wed night pros and I still can't win a Wed Nighter!

·
Banned
816 Posts
I started bass fishing in the 70`s. I was fortunate enough to work for a guy that was a great fisherman. I joined the Austin Bass Fishing Club that he was a member of. We placed in a lot of tournaments and won a first on Buchanan. I also took what he taught me and won a club tournament on my own and placed in several others. My point is I learned from others and have always shared my info with people I dont know at boat ramps and friends of mine that fish. I have told them exactly where I caught them and what bait. Even in bass clubs you have people that will not teach you anything, but their might be someone who will help you. You dont get info by getting an attitude. Listen and learn. Join a bass club or when you are at a boat ramp ask questions. A lot of people at boat ramps are excited about their catch and will tell you what they caught them on and sometimes where they caught them. Even if they dont tell you where they caught them take those same lure or lure`s and try it in different places. We started fishing Choke and it was so big we did not know where to start. We hired a Guide. Charles Whited. He showed us the lake and where to fish. We have done good ever since. Concentrate on one lake and try to learn it well then go to others and learn them. It takes years to learn different lures and patterns on multiple lakes.

Cesspool? Drinkers? Non Drinkers? Buddies that fish togeather all the time? Antics? What was I thinking getting on this forum?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.