Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Travis this morning till noon and managed 25 to 30 bass today and all on crankbaits from briarcliffe to carlos and charlies.Most of the fish came off points that were shallow then dropped deep.
See ya on the water!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
nice fish, but just out of curiosity, whats up with the gut on the left hand fish? im not very framiliar with large bass so im not sure exactly how they're supposed to look, but is that one kinda skinny for its size? it almost looks like the stomach is inverted... is that normal?

and again, its just out of curiosity. im not trying to take a stab at your catch or anything so please dont take it the wrong way because its a nice fish, i honestly just want to know.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
676C766D7769716A6A040 said:
nice fish, but just out of curiosity, whats up with the gut on the left hand fish? im not very framiliar with large bass so im not sure exactly how they're supposed to look, but is that one kinda skinny for its size? it almost looks like the stomach is inverted... is that normal?

and again, its just out of curiosity. im not trying to take a stab at your catch or anything so please dont take it the wrong way because its a nice fish, i honestly just want to know.

Post spawn gut would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Ha, yeah, that fish on the left definitely does not look like he's in fantastic shape. Looks like that fish was so hungry that it just inhaled that crankbait and tried to take it straight into its stomach! And that looks like a bit more than just post-spawn gut. Looks like that guy hasn't eaten anything in a very long time! I've caught more snake-like largemouths out of Travis than anywhere else I've ever fished.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
2D2A37312C24363A430 said:
That one fish is swimming and it did look really pathetic.Guess maybe just and old fish because we measured him to be 27 inches.

I catch fish like that from time to time and I think it is more than just a skinny hungry bass.  I think there is a health problem or genetic problem that the fish has.  Every time I catch one like that they have a skinny paper thin body, the head is large and skin is sunken in showing the cranial bones, and the bristles/ teeth in the mouth seem longer than a healthy bass.  Age could be a factor but I have caught 1-2lb bass with the condition.  I think it is some kind of disease or condition, however, no-one on here seems to know what it is.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yea Matt your exactly right about that genetic mess up deal, I caught a bass about 4 lbs out of Fayette one day that was just kinda laid up in the shallows and went over to pick up the rattlesnake I threw in there.  Long teeth, (razor sharp)kind of a mishapen head, strange purple splotches around his face and lip, paper thin and he barely put up any fight at all. I would have brought him in but was worried about him being in the slot, really strange since then caught a similar one out of Bastrop.  That fish Nitro has just looks skinny to me, that fish from fayette looked like hell compared to that

PS hey did the fish you caught like that come out of power plant lakes?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Benny, I have caught 2 or 3 outta my pond at Evant and I just throw them on the bank. I saw a sick lookin fish like that come out of Bastrop. also saw one posted on here from LA about a year ago. so it's not just power plant lakes where the sick ones live. We need and wildlife biologist or icthyologist to chime in

·
Registered
124 Posts
A friend of my has a theory that he has proven to me on more that one occation. In the past when we catch sick looking Bass like that he would dissect it. Every time we have we found a plastic worm in its gut. He has wriiten letters to the DFG documenting his findings and preaching the use of Bio-Degradable plastics for making worms. Its hard to find you favorite worm in a Bio-degradeable form, but I make sure that I dont throw old used worms in the water. they go in the trash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.