Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 9:30 to 18:00

Managed four keepers the biggest being 4 lbs 5oz. Fished midway back in creeks out to the points. The last two fish of the day were back to back casts, the first weighing 3lbs 13 oz and then the 4 lber. Both on c-rig power worm in 13 ft on sharp drop off. Caught 7 more on c-rigs and flukes.
I think it will just keep gettng better from here.

What would make my engine surge at 3500 rpm? Bad gas, too much stabil? It runs great at all other rpm ranges. It acts like it wants more fuel or is getting too much. this is the first time it has done this, i just put fresh fuel in on the way to the lake.

· Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem today with my 2001 Merc EFI. Around 4400-4800 it starts to surge up and down. If I push to higher and top-end the engine runs well. Just had the motor service two weeks ago. Oh well, it's another money pit. I wanted this rig ready for the fall. About to be on terminal leave for my last deployment. I got about two-three weeks of serious fall fishing. I want this thing to run..son.

Have u found any answers? Thinking about taking mine in to the shop. Don't want to pay but I want this thing ready to fish..

Thanks

· Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to check the plugs tomorrow. Good luck with yours, I hope you catch a bunch of big ones before you deploy. Let me know what you find out about your engine.

Basshunter: I didn't try any top waters that day but will Monday morning.

· Registered
111 Posts
Thanks...Actually, I'm done with my deployment and ready to fish seriously. I took it out this evening and it ran fine for four planes and then the last ride home it surged for a second and then cleared. Going to check my fuel lines and filter.

· Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the cowling off today and found an old bird nest blocking one side of the air intake. There were two dead baby birds at the bottom . I guess the boat dealer missed that  :mad:
Hopefully the engine was starved for air causing it to surge. I will find out tomorrow or tuesday.

If nothing else, the Cowboys looked good today.  :eek:

· Registered
428 Posts
I had the bird nests before. You should check your "air filter" I had a bunch of junk in mine. I now have an engine cover. $20.00 or so from Academy. Nice fish BTW!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.