Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it one of those days you dream sitting in the office.

1000- 1830
WT - 69-71
Mid-lake near Anderson Bend
Wind - Light to 10 North

Started early with a DD22 fishing deeper ledges and caught one keeper. I decided to slow down and use a jig and weighted senko.  Continued to focus on transition areas from bluffs to 45 deg bank or flats...with docks and no docks.    Caught most of the fish < 10 FOW.  The fish are there with the shad.  I graphed shad all morning from 7 to 12 feet.  

Managed to catch four keepers in the morning all around 1.5 lbs.  Then around lunch the big ones came out to play.  I caught a 8.2 on a dock on a ten foot flat using a weighted senko.  When she jumped, I was in shock to see that a big of a fish on Travis.  Stuck witht that pattern the rest of the day and caught three more keepers... a 3.4, 2.5, and 2.9.  An estimated total weight of 19 lbs.  It was one of those days you wished for on a tournament.  I hope I can put this together for early spring.

The pics of the big bass were so great and I hard time setting up the camera.  I didn't want her to be out of the water for very long.  She was toad and healthy.  Travis is getting better every year.

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
Even though it's a bad angle, the eye balls give it away - a true pig.

Think about the fall series for the Austin Boats & Motors tournaments that just finished up out there.  I went back and counted it up and using rough math and a few beers there were somewhere around a total of 61 3 fish limits brought to the scales for a total of 183 keepers.  This biggest fish tipped the scales at 5.85 pounds. The next biggest was 3.41lbs.

So that means that there were 181 other keepers that were anywhere from Lake Travis special size to 3lbs.

Then you go stick a 8.2 and a 3.4 and 2.9 in the same session!  

I don't know what my point was other than when the big fish on Travis turn on they really turn on and when they go away, who the hell knows where they go!

Way to go man!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey TDub,

Your right about the big fish turning on. I have fished this lake since 2003 and fished pretty hard. It was hard coming from East Texas where I caught a pig like this one sight fishing from the shore at Lake Pinkston. Man, I saw two friends catch two 10 lbs fish out of Lake Pinkston in the same season in East Texas. Fishing central Texas and these Highland Reserviors were intimidating to me when first fished. It took some time to figure this lake out. I was really surprise how I caught this one though. Typically if I caught a pig it like this, it was at dusk or at night.

These bigger fish are tough to catch except in the fall and spring. There is so much activity in the summer due to boat traffic. Maybe light duration, cold fronts??? Well, I don't know all the reasons, but your right..... When they turn on they do turn on... But also, I fished the whole day and not just 4 hrs... This lake is a challenge but alot of fun with the numbers.

I kept three Guads and fillet them'up as well. Fish fry today.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
i noticed the fish were getting bigger as the day progressed. i wonder if it has anything to do with the almost new moon being overhead? The solunar chart said major activity between 12 and 3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.