Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Travis this morning from 9:30-12:30. Caught nine and lost a couple too. Best went 3 Lbs. All but 3 were keepers, and Nice little chunks. All were caught 3-5 foot on a Texas rig. Water temp 58 degrees, and mostly cloudy. I imagine it hits 60 by the afternoon.

SM

· Registered
874 Posts
Got out on Travis this moring and nothing. (0800)

I launched out of Jonesbrother park went headed for Cypress Creek.

The lake was nice, as was the weather. Overcast with just enough breeze to be comfortable.

I saw a few boats from where I launched to where I ended up.

I started by throwing a spinner bait with a white skirt. I would cast out, let it sink to the bottom, rais my rod tip, let the lure sink again, and reel in the slack. I repeated this server times, as I let the wind puch me down the creek.

I eventually switch to a watermelon colored worm, and fished the same way.

The entire time that I was drifting, I watched the fihfinder for bait and structrure on the bottom. While I didn't find that much, it did show me there were fish in the 10' to 14' area on the bottom.

I just couldn't get anything to bite.

I headback to the boat launch and fish the back part till about (11:30)

Fishing here is very different then what I am used to, what am I doing wrong?

G

·
hopedale keep trying, travis has a very long learning curve. you might try shad colored, med diving crank baits around front of coves and along bluffs or plastics in 10' range. chunk rock is usually a good bet. good luck

· Registered
874 Posts
ajbone said:
hopedale keep trying, travis has a very long learning curve. you might try shad colored,  med diving crank baits around front of coves and along bluffs or plastics in 10' range. chunk rock is usually a good bet. good luck

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll certainly give it a try.

Thought I'd have more of a knowlege base for Travis by now, but last year's rain and hunting season delayed my education.

I moved here a year ago and most of the people I work with keep saying there are no fish in Travis. I struggle with that answer because I've seen to many post on here that prove that statement wrong.

I spoke with my Uncle the other day, and he said pretty much what you said on figuring out Travis.

I just strugle diving an hour to go fishing when I have a boat launch 7 miles from the house, and a lake that produces fish.

Well, today's weather is probably going to keep me in. But day light savings is coming, and I'll be able to go out afterwork.

Thanks again.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Agreed. Those people are VERY wrong. It's just a tough lake, that's all. It's loaded with fish, just sometimes very picky fish. 8)

Look at my report from yesterday. I caught quite a few nice LT bass yesterday, and caught some more today.

After a bunch of trips out there, you'll figure a little out. And then once you think you know the lake well, you get your butt handed to you the next trip. :p It's a tough lake, and makes you think if it's the fish, or if you just suck (happens all the time to me). You'll have your share of good days out there once you spend some time out there.

Good luck, and go show your friends there wrong 8)

· Registered
125 Posts
That's what I like about Travis. It consistently has a way of keeping you humble while providing some excellent days mixed in. This time of year I would fish around the Narrows, Schaffer Bend, the Pedernales, and around the docks at night in that area. There are definitely tons of fish in LT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.