Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All y'all ready for summer? I know I am! I love the long, hot days. Two and a half weeks til the calendar start of summer, but the lake has already shifted to its summer pattern: flipping grass.

Last couple months, I have junk-fished with a power edge for good effect. This morning, I left my two spinnerbait rods at the house. And no jerkbait, no chatter-bait, no squarebill, no swim-jig, either. Oh brother. Hello, deadstick fishing.

I haven't perfected grass flipping, but I managed to put fish in the boat. Mid-morning, I started throwing weightless senko (texposed and wacky) into the hydrilla. Lots of short strikes and lots of short fish.

Around ten, I needed to organize my jumbled rods. I picked up my topwater rod. My hand slipped and a spook junior's treble buried up to the bend under my index finger's nail bed. I cut the line and started trolling toward the ramp. I hadn't gone far when I remembered the box-cutter I keep in the marine box. I stopped the boat and grabbed the razor knife. I sliced my cuticle to free the barb, pulled the hook, and resumed fishing.

I saw two grass carp frolicking in the pondweed and headed over. The smaller carp was in trouble. I guess the larger carp was trying to help. As I approached, both carp sounded but the hurt one resurfaced. A couple in a nice motor powered inflatable came over to take pictures. I hoisted the forty pounder for a couple of pics and then returned it to the water. We may need the moss monster back if this guy doesn't make it. Cowabunga!
IMG_20170604_055514249.jpg
IMG_20170604_063213763_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170604_091454844_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170604_091549720.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't even know there was carp in there. That thing is a monster! Glad to hear the fishing is good. I will be making it out mid/late summer. Keep the reports coming!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
That my friend is one heck of a carp. I've been invited to fish this lake several times and I still haven't been on it. I hear it's a darn good lake though. Maybe I can fish it one day soon before the grass takes over.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alan, TPWD stocked the grass carp into LPf. The TPWD website does not indicate an active permit for the lake. Unlike some sportsmen I've talked with, I don't routinely kill rough fish, but I will if required by law.

The grass carp in the pic had a significant ventral laceration. It was badly injured. It may have been caught during the kidfish event and a parent attempted to eviscerate the animal. It would have been humane to have finished off the carp. However, after it swam off, it did not resurface.

Doug, the lake is producing and yielding good catches of short bass (i.e. less than eighteen inches). Todd and I got out today and whacked 'em decent enough.
IMG_20170611_102304036.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the TPWD "handbook" that came with my fishing license. Since I was never in possession of the grass carp, there is no requirement for me to not release it.

IMG_20170604_091454844_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
When the grass is completely covering the water (during the summer months) what is the best way to fish that? I tried fishing off the pier following the grass line trying to get a bite but nothing. I haven't been since mid July. I plan on going out this weekend but if the grass is going to be covering most the lake i think I will go home.

·
Administrator
3,640 Posts
When the grass is completely covering the water (during the summer months) what is the best way to fish that? I tried fishing off the pier following the grass line trying to get a bite but nothing. I haven't been since mid July. I plan on going out this weekend but if the grass is going to be covering most the lake i think I will go home.
I miss the gem that use to be Lake Austin grass :(, if grass is as pro-dominate as you speak, I would throw a frog or get some nice heavy tungsten's and punch.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you were there in July, consumption and evaporation drained the lake until the piers were no longer in the water. The City of Pflugerville began pumping water back into the lake in September, but it wasn't until the recent gully-washer rain that the level begin to come up. You may be able to find fishable water from the pier. A guy posted a month ago about catching a six pounder from the shore.

J.R. suggested the conventional approach to fishing grass and its worth a try. I tried frogs and punching and I've caught a couple fish, but nothing noteworthy for numbers or size. Throwing frogs or heavy weights with 50# braid into the thickest mats imaginable is strenuous work. Pflugerville hydrilla mats are impervious to a one-ounce tungsten flipping weight. I doubt an ounce-and-a-quarter would do it. I have to dive-bomb the mat with a 1.5 oz tungsten and it only breaks through half the time. How much do you love bass-fishing?

From shore, it does look like the grass covers the entire lake, but it doesn't. The grass edges are supremely productive. If you head there this weekend, you will discover the recent rain runoff has obscured the edges with a foot of water but you may be able to discern them with your Costas. You will see outside edges, inside edges, hard-spot edges, drop-off edges, pondweed edges, channel edges, etc. In other words, lots of edges. Best way to fish is with a yak.

I got out this morning and made the rounds of the deeper edges. I caught fish on SSJr, WW senko, and TR BBH, all on the EDGE of the grass, not IN the grass. I tried punching at four different mats. I got one strike, right under the mat, but I missed the fish. The fish are probably moving up shallow trying to get away from the decaying grass, because decaying grass depletes the oxygen.

This one was on senko, cruising a channel in 16FOW.
IMG_20180928_073013848.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts