Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the beautiful weather, I headed to the lake after work. I pulled into the parking lot and saw a small SUV blocking the top of the ramp. This happens way to often.

To the left of the SUV a pickup was also idling. I parked to the side and approached the pickup. I asked the driver if he was next in line to use the ramp. He pointed to a kayak on the ramp's waterline and said, "I need to pickup my kayak."

I told him I would take care of this situation. I asked a group walking up from the pavilion if the car was theirs. One of them spoke up and said, "No, but there's someone in the back."

I thought he meant the owner was in the back of the pavilion. Then I noticed the outline of a person through the dark tint of the driver's side rear window. I opened the driver's door and poked my head inside and asked, "Do you know where the owner of this car is?"

There were actually two people in the backseats, both pretty young teenage girls engrossed in their phones. Neither looked up from their phone. I said, "Your car is blocking the boat ramp. Can one of you move it?" Crickets.

I climbed into the car and sat in the driver's seat. I turned around and asked, "Is it alright if I move it?" The girls were fixated on their phones and ignored me.

Stranger danger happens even in Pflugerville, but these girls did not feel threatened. I closed the door, taking their silence for acquiescence.

No screams of protest, so I grabbed the gear shift and put it in reverse. I looked over my shoulder and backed toward the exit. The car gained momentum. I deepened my voice and flatly stated, "I'm driving you to your death."

I heard one girl giggle. Neither looked up from their phone as I put in park. I got out and gave a thumbs up to the yak owner. Neither girl could ID me in a line-up. I backed down the ramp and parked next to the yak owner.

Like yesterday, I started and ended with good'uns with some cutie-pies in between. I got back to the ramp and saw wiscobass preparing to launch. We visited and he caught me up on all the goings on at some of the area lakes. It was great talking with you wiscobass!
IMG_20170620_192449806.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice catching up with you Jeremy. I started between the weed patches where you landed the 3 pounder and got a few bumps on the spinnerbait. Slowed down and switched to a weightless senko and picked up a 15" and one around 10". Moved across lake as the sun set and targeted off shore matted grass with a hollow body frog and went a measly 1 for 5 on hookups. Fish was built like a tank, one of the frog fish that shook off was at least as big as this one.
20170621_104632.jpg

·
Registered
869 Posts
Tried some bank fishing this afternoon. Temps outside were the best in a long while.

Only, I brought the fly rod and didn't realize the wind out there was going to be 17MPH. Hadn't got the hang of casting in wind like that.

Wounder if the rain coming is will raise the water level?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice catching up with you Jeremy. I started between the weed patches where you landed the 3 pounder and got a few bumps on the spinnerbait. Slowed down and switched to a weightless senko and picked up a 15" and one around 10". Moved across lake as the sun set and targeted off shore matted grass with a hollow body frog and went a measly 1 for 5 on hookups. Fish was built like a tank, one of the frog fish that shook off was at least as big as this one.
Nice fish, wiscobass! Thanks for the report. Sort of. Because you got the good'un on a frog, I had to rededicate some tackle for a frog set-up.

I gave up on frogs two years ago. At that time, I threw frogs with a 6'10" medium heavy with 50# braid on 7.3:1 ratio reel. Last night, I rearranged some rods. I put together a 6'6" MH with 12# mono and a 7.1:1 reel. I tied on a smokey bronze eye hollow body. This morning I went an abysmal oh for two on the frog. That's right, I've never caught a fish on a frog. One of the blow-ups was a good'un. Doh!

Then the storm hit around nine am. Jonathan followed me in and we visited for a while at the ramp. I went home to sit out the storm. First weekend of summer and we get a nice cold front. I headed back to the lake after lunch.

A forum member asked in another thread how to fish around high noon plus or minus a couple hours. I very rarely fish at that time, but today offered an opportunity. Here's how I do it:

1. Apply sunscreen a half hour before exposure to the sun.

2. Lock down the drag, 'cause this is when the good'uns eat!

I caught 2 four-pounders, one at noon and one at three.
IMG_20170624_125802547_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170624_145722004_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
That entire lake is a grass bed and I love it. Fished from 3-6. I only caught one decent fish and one dink. Fished a frog for an hour and a half and not a single boil so I switched to a California swim jig with a 4.8 keitech trailer in bluegill colors.

Sounds like you had a better day than me.

20170624_223834.jpg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That entire lake is a grass bed and I love it. Fished from 3-6. I only caught one decent fish and one dink. Fished a frog for an hour and a half and not a single boil so I switched to a California swim jig with a 4.8 keitech trailer in bluegill colors.

Sounds like you had a better day than me.
Nice fish! I like the keitech bluegill color. I got to get me some.

I'm surprised I didn't see you yesterday, because I left a little after you started. I had a good day as far as getting decent book end fish. On the other hand, I had equipment failures that needed sorting out.

I ramp-rashed a hole in the hull of the Uncle Buck's Pond Prowler. I had to get help to load the water logged boat into my truck. I drained and patched the hull last night. It was water tight today.

The other issue is the frog rod. After missing two blow-ups yesterday, I had to rethink my lackadaisical frog set-up. I went back to the drawing board.

I have an old H2O broomstick that Academy clearanced out for $10. I put fifty pound power-pro braid (that was clearanced from Walmart) on a clearanced $25 H2O Motive. I tied on the 99 cent clearance Booyah Pad Crasher (I got three at that price!) with an improved uni-knot. Forty dollars for this set-up.

The new set-up is pretty good, actually. Today at sun-up, a good'un choked it and the set-up hauled him in. My frog curse is broken and I think I'll catch a couple more like this before summer is over.

I made the rounds and caught some on WW senko and TR ribbontail. Cowabunga!
IMG_20170625_061732394.jpg
IMG_20170625_080136468.jpg
IMG_20170625_092556724_1.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't see any clear lures in there???
That is just frogs and poppers. I don't have a large selection of all clear. Only a few top water and jerkbaits.
I have quite a few that are clear "ish" with some other color or pattern thrown in.

From your comment I take it you have a preference for clear. List me a few of your favorites and I will give them a shot.

Walk the Dog stuff
image1.JPG

Shallow Jerkbaits
image3.JPG

Deep Jerkbaits
image4.JPG

Whopper Ploppers - Still need to fill this box out
image2.JPG

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Admit it. You can't say Whopper Plopper without getting a smile on your face.
It sounds wrong but is so right.
Yeah, but now I'm all about that hollow body. I went back this evening. I found a good grass patch. I got three with the frog on five strikes around 6:30 pm. I made the rounds, but the fish were hunkered down and not slamming the TR like over the weekend. I still got a couple on TR. I did catch a couple fun-fish with deadstick WW.
IMG_20170626_190102480.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts