Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like most of you, I work through the week to fish on the weekend. After a six day work week, I saw the Sunday weather forecast predicting 80% chance of thunderstorm around sunrise. Hey, I'm going to be optimistic and say that means a one in five chance I won't see any lightning. So I prepped my rods last night.

I woke around five and listened for thunder. Silence, and I didn't hear any rain either. I loaded the boat as distant flashes of lightning lit up the sky east and west. The KXAN fake radar had most of west Texas painted red. I should be able to squeeze in a little fishing.

I put into a deserted lake. I stayed close to the ramp, but I couldn't find the fish so I ventured to make the rounds of the lake. The north breeze was pushing me fast enough to cover a lot of water. I threw caution out the window and made for the south shore.

At eight o'clock the bite turned on. I was alternating between lipless and spinnerbait and getting some fish. I caught a very sick fish that had three feet of green six pound test mono dangling from its gullet. I gently pulled on the green line to see if I could help the fish. I decided to remove as much of the line as I could. I reached in with side cutters and cut it an inch from the gullet. In its prime, this fish was at least seven pounds. I'm guessing three and a half now.

After an hour of pretty good fishing, the wife text me that I needed to come home because of a tornado warning. I looked at the radar and almost crapped myself! The storm was at I-35 and coming fast. I cranked the trolling motor to eleven and hoped the wires wouldn't melt in half. The sky darkened and the wind turned and came from the west at twenty knots. I got the boat in the pickup and then heard the first thunder of the morning.
IMG_20170402_091233455.jpg

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
i was at brushy practicing bank casting...all of a sudden the wind picked up, so i headed for academy 1431, which had just opened....employee starts asking folks to head for the break room! i headed home instead, and everything turned out ok... dang, what a storm!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
....and hit pf later in the afternoon to practice....nothing happening....almost falling asleep....had the whopper about four ft away and ready to pull it out, and some beast took a swipe at it and scared the stuff outa me!
That's why I'm sitting where I'm sitting typing this...

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forums and to the area. Went the LPf right after the storm. It was slow most of the day. Water level seemed murky and pretty low compared to when I was last there a few weeks ago. Caught one decent bass from the South west bank in about 3 ft of water using a weightless senko. IMG_0304.JPG

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New to the forums and to the area...

...Caught one decent bass from the South west bank in about 3 ft of water using a weightless senko.
Hey crm103

Welcome to the forum. Nice fish!

That SW corner is as far from the ramp as you can get, so I don't fish there much. Over the years, I've heard of and seen pictures of really good fish from that spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts