Bass Fishing Forum banner

Looking for Whites at Tejas Camp

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott W. 
#1 ·
I biked the trails on the south side of Tejas Camp with my light tackle looking for white bass this afternoon. I ran into a few other fishermen - some hikers and few in bass boats.

None of us had any bites around Hunt Crossing and Jim Hogg Hollow. Maybe the cold spells over the last 2 weeks have kept the males from coming up to spawn just yet. Cheers!

#7 ·
Agarita - The San Gabriel at Tejas Camp is pretty shallow, depending on rainfall. There are some pools, but if you hike, bike, or kayak your way to where the river opens up into Lake Georgetown, you can find whites when they spawn.

Other potential spots are the San Gabriel above Lake Granger and Willis Creek flowing into Lake Granger.

#8 ·
I was up there yesterday. There was a large population of Whites just down river (100 - 150 yards) of the low water bridge at Camp Tejas. I could see the fish, but they were not biting on anything I threw at them. There was a group of about 20 people fishing the school, and they had maybe 12 fish combined. Definitely not the 25 fish per hour I have seen there in the past.

Going back during the week to try again. I might also try the steps.

#10 ·
Returned to Camp Tejas today. Was there from 4:00 to 6:30 and didn't get a single bite. There were four of us in our group and the other three came up empty as well. We fished down stream of the bridge for about 3/4 of a mile. Whites were schooling in numbers of 10 to 30 (that we saw). We estimate we saw at least 300 fish, and one school swam within 8 feet of me as a was wading.

We spoke to about 10 other fishermen and no one had caught a fish today. The fish are definitely there, but just not interested. We will be going back next week.

Scott W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.