Bass Fishing Forum banner

Looking for Service Veterans interested in Striper Fishing LT

5K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Capt.John 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently began working with a foundation called "Operation Pay it Forward" as an AmBASSador. ;) I take 3-4 Vets out to Lake Travis and we fish for striper along the isles. If you know of a Veteran (any branch of service from any era) who likes to fish and maybe doesn't have the opportunity, a Vet that just needs to get outside and breathe some fresh air, a Vet that wants to hang with other Vets, please PM me or have them DM me for details. There is no cost to any Veteran for this opportunity. Currently, the only limitation I have is that I cannot accomodate wheelchair bound passengers.

I have a nice, new Nauticstar CC and I do these trips once a month for the Foundation.

OPIF4OURVETS.ORG

Please, no negative comments on the UR! :cool:

x60pilot

View attachment 37500

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good morning X60 Pilot. Yes, I am a Vet, Yes, wife and I fish for striped and hybrid all of the time, here on, NC Kansas lakes. Q.-- I am also a member
of S.M.A.R.T. [Special Military Active Recreational Travelers] We are a non-profit RV Veterans Club. We are selling nothing, but a "THANK YOU
FOR SERVING". "WE ANSWERED THE CALL". I would be interested in helping with your fishing trips for Veterans here in Kansas. Check us out at
www.smartrving.org . My big Striped is 33.4 from our Wilson, Resv.
I have a 21' Crestliner. I have fished with Vets several times , Fort Riley area. Milford Lake for hybrids.
Let me know
Stielow
EX - KHP, Kansas\
Retired ARMY

#3 ·
Hello Sarg55,

Thanks for your service and support for our Veterans. Not sure what I can do for you in Kansas? I serve as an Ambassador to the Operation Pay it Forward Foundation. In order for me to participate I had to meet with the President, VP and Secretary first. So now I am cleared to run trips for our Heroes. The purpose for the Ambassadorship is to reach out to local veterans and get them involved and for some of those Veterans to find something they can do for other Vets. For instance I have a fishing boat so I try and find inerested Vets who want to go.

I am also an archery coach so I am planning on holding some archery lessons/clinics during the National Archery Week; it's what I can do for those that ANSWERED THE CALL as you do. Now, maybe you could RV down to Texas, we can take those Vets out and have the 2 Foundations partner on an event? Just a thought and I don't have the authority to make that happen; it has to be Board approved as do all of my events.

My Father was stationed at Ft. Riley several times 2x to RVN with them, 1x with 1st Cav. Taught me all the mottos when I was young!

x60pilot

#4 ·
Thank you so much for your quick response X 60 Pilot; Being that my S.M.A.R.T Veteran RV Travel Club is a NOT-FOR-PROFIT org. , I have found out
that most issues can be worked out without much problems.
. Our National HQ. in Pensacola has a large staff of 2 part time ladies. Because there is very little budget for staff.
. Would you please contact them at www.smartrving.org . Talk to them. I do know that we do a lot of [cross www. site] information. We are always looking
for a way to help Veterans.
....... Lets keep in touch and see what can be worked out.
. Wife , who likes to fish about as much as I do. Traveled to Canada [SK] prov. for many years. TOBIN LAKE, She boated a 32 in eye, that weighed 13.4 And
a 49 in Pike, at 29 lbs. Yep, she was on their www. page for several years. Me........ Never made it. But it kept me in a great fishing boat. Stay in touch.
SARG55

#5 ·
X 60 Pilot. Give me a E-mail add for you and a www. site for you , if you have one. I will forward on to our
National Hq. for us to keep working on this.

SARG55//
Retired ARMY
Retired Kansas Highway Patrol
Retired Kansas Dept. of Rev. Field inv. for Dealer Lic.

BE SAFE OUT THERE ON THE WATER.

#8 ·
I recently began working with a foundation called "Operation Pay it Forward" as an AmBASSador. ;) I take 3-4 Vets out to Lake Travis and we fish for striper along the isles. If you know of a Veteran (any branch of service from any era) who likes to fish and maybe doesn't have the opportunity, a Vet that just needs to get outside and breathe some fresh air, a Vet that wants to hang with other Vets, please PM me or have them DM me for details. There is no cost to any Veteran for this opportunity. Currently, the only limitation I have is that I cannot accomodate wheelchair bound passengers.

I have a nice, new Nauticstar CC and I do these trips once a month for the Foundation.

OPIF4OURVETS.ORG

Please, no negative comments on the UR! :cool:

x60pilot

View attachment 37530
2 at the same time. I have no clue what kind of rig that is but if it works go for it. You are doing good things Sir. for us veterans

#9 ·
Sorry; late getting back to you. My email address is ssslow@gorhamtel.com I live north of Russell, Ks. NC Ks. our National is https://smartrving.org/ Tell them that Stielow sent you. In the past we have cross www. site information. We do not have that many fisher people that have a boat. They sure like to go out in my boat.!!?!?!?
Take care. Going to be a while before we start fishing here in Kansas. Did I tell you that for about 30 years, wife and I traveled to Northern SK prov. Tobin Lake. Close to town
of Nipawin . Great people, and super grate fishing. Biggest eye, for wife was 32 in, 13.4 lbs. Her Pike was 49 in. 29 lbs. NOT GOING TO STATE MY BIG ONES.???

#11 ·
Yes, we have a 32 foot 5th wheel, pull my 21 foot crestline behind. a few inch. over length???? Yes. I belong to S.M.A.R.T. Military Veterans RV Club. Nation wide. Check us out
on www.smartrving.org I have most of my Host Chapter musters at one of our Kansas lakes. Take members out. Take a look at our group
and pass on the information
WE ANSWERED THE CALL now we are SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND.

------ Sorry for this late response. Just had not checked in.

#12 ·
Just wanted to chime ... firstly... thanks for what yall do for my fellow vets.... speaking of the Kansas lakes... was at Riley for a while....took the Boat out to Lake Milford at least 50 times in the two years i was there... I LOVE that lake... hope yall get to fish Milford... tis the greatest Smallmouth lake i ever fished... many Smallies from 4 to 5 lbs caught there... miss it... scouts out (19D - 2006-2010)

#14 ·
We fish Milford all of the time. After our big floods of 93, Milford was about all that was left for good camping. We go after Wipers and eyes. My biggest Wiper
is 13 lbs. Wiper fishing as really slowed down. We have quite going to Canada, because of age. 83, I have never been a big smallies fisherman . Love pulling my
wiper lures over the south or big island. That used to be the hot spot. But has really cooled down. Me with my Military RV group S.M.A.R.T will be at Milford July 13
to 17, for our chapter Muster. Wife and I are the host. KEEP YOUR LURE IN THE WATER

#16 ·
Fish Fishing Fish Bass Recreation

I am interested in a trip with you. I can help out (if other vets can use help) since I am still in good shape. Retired USAF 1967-88. Not really good with PMs so hope you can email or call me directly.

More of a black bass angler so still learning about strippers. Cold weather? Who cares? That's why they sell warm clothes.

Attached is recent catch from Lake Austin January, 2018 on my UL rod that my fishing buddy has named "Snoopy". He went and bought a UL after I proved (several times) how effective it can be using 4lb line - but probably not on stripers!

thanks,
John A. Kolbeck
3603 Rock Shelf Lane
Round Rock, TX 78681
(218) 464-7887
jakolbeck@midco.net

#18 ·
I would disagree. I don't use Alabama (umbrella) rigs myself but have no problem with using them if conditions dictate. I am not a big fan of live bait but would not say it isn't fair chase to use it. If I had my way, all trot lines, jugs, gill nets, etc. would be banned but that would not be fair to those who like to use them.

They tried to ban sonar units in Minnesota many years ago because they said they were giving the angler to big an advantage! I would hate to fish without one now.

#19 · (Edited)
More on Umbrellas

Capt,

The URs I use are big and are not castable like Alabamas, I have one that weighs 2lbs for getting extra deep without the need for a downrigger. I use them year around, but they produce best in warmer weather and water temps above 70 degs. I hunt stripers, can't teach you anything about "strippers" you referenced earlier. :eek:fftop2: didn't know that about MN? Drop me a PM and tell me where your from in MN, my family (father's side is all from there). I learned to fish there in the Wilmar area, Spicer actually. We'll get you out soon!

Ron

#20 ·
I live in International Falls, MN as soon as I can launch my boat. I love to fish for those smallmouth. Here is a link to my Rainy Lake blog:
Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John - Page 31 - Rainy Lake Fishing Reports - Hunting - Events - Fishing Minnesota - Hunting

2 pounds! How do you know when you get a bite? We used to troll Lake Superior with wire line and very heavy sinker for lake trout. Need to get down to 180 feet sometimes. Not much fun reeling in 500 feet of wire line and a huge sinker with cowbell spinner on the end. Later they invented downriggers. Way more fun.

Hopefully when we go with some other vets, we can get some jigging or casting.

#24 ·
I'm trying to organize a Nov 11 fishing trip for Veterans. Pass this along and have them message me if they are interested. Must have DD214 stating Honorable.
View attachment 41009
I should be available on the 11th - headed back to Texas soon. I am currently in International Falls - see today's video!

But I have to hang around fer awhile yet as we are having too much fun with the smallmouths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.