Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Nana"let" me go fishing yesterday, she claimed today as her family day. We were supposed to meet the kids and grand kids up on the Llano river above Kingsland for a day of splashing around in the water - be still my fluttering heart. Due to heavenly intervention I had to run by the office and then meet them at the river. We had set up by 1 and everyone was enjoying the water and wandering around the various water flows. Around 3:30 my wife was walking across some rocks when she started hollering for me to come over to her. When I got there she was pointing into the water and asked me what that was. We were watching a beautiful Guadalupe bass swimming around the pool. Good thing I drove as I had all my tackle in the car. She watched the fish while I ran/jumped/waded back to the car and returned with my tackle. I already had a Texas rig on so I added a Strike King Rage DB Craw in a craw color and tossed in the pole. The bass went right too it but didn't pick it up. 3 more casts netted the same results and then the kids wandered over and the bass ran over to some vegetation and hid under a ledge. I tossed the craw above the ledge and let the current carry it down the length of that ledge and on the second cast he grabbed it and took off. I set the hook and saw the craw pull out of his mouth and land out in front of me in about 8" of water. Amazingly that bass shot up into the shallow and grabbed the craw again and this time the set was true. He didn't have a lot of line to play with but he made up for it in his desire to get rid of the hook. I finally just backed up the rock and pulled him in. Per the trusty Deliar I had a 2.25lb Guadalupe. Swimming was officially over for me as I began walking around the various shoots and pools looking for bass. In an hour I had caught 3 LMB (all small), 1 SMB (also small) and 7 more Guad's including two more over 1.5 Lbs. Nana a got excited and had me go get her a rod as well and she started working the pools and shoots too. She ended up catching a SMB and 4 Guads while I caught 3 more Guads and my SIL and son each caught a couple taking turns with my last rod. When I ran out of craws Momma switched to a H&H spinner and let it drift in the current. She caught 3 more SMB and a 2lb drum. I switched to a watermelon colored craw and closed out the day with 3 LMB (2 dinks and a 3.5LBer.) I think I am going to let Nana plan more water days if they turn out like this. The spot is upriver from Kingsland and there were very few people around so it was easy to walk from pool to pool. Make sure you have on good shoes and wear stuff you can wade in and get wet. Be safe, keep your lines tight and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT was a blast. I had walked other parts of the Llano but not this particular area. We will be going back next weekend for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You were at " the Slab " and it is truly a beautiful spot to be on the Llano. Easy to get to, but the crowds can get large and rowdy on weekends. Up river as far as you can stand to walk is the best place to be.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welder - We didn't go to the Slab. We were at another site above the slab and there might have been 20 people there on a holiday weekend. I have tried the slab before and you are right - no way around the crowds of people and no reason to fish there. This is about 10 minutes further down the road and a great place to fish. Or at least it was Sunday. I will try and again and see.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe it was Long's? That place has some great holes to fish. I spent some time out that way a few years back...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir. My first time to visit Long's but I will definitely be going back. We have gone above Llano to wade and kayak the river as well with pretty good results. There are some good fish in there and not a lot of fishing pressure from what I have seen. Same with the Blanco if we get away from the park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts