Bass Fishing Forum banner

Does line color matter?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing lots of line to knots practice, i need to buy some more line.

So, do fish even care about the color of the line ? Less bites on high Vis ?

I am paranoid so up to now i only used 100% clear, no need to lose bites to smart fish (possible flawed logic :rolleyes: )? Although i would favor other High-vis lines.

What i am considering is Main line High-Vis and leader Clear.

Thoughts ? thanks

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I tie my lures like this: overhand looped twice and tighten...overhand looped four times and tighten...overhand looped four times again and tighten... nanofil 17lb dark green...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I don't like flouro leaders. I tried to drop-shot this morning and I caught zero fish on the drop-shot. I use moss green power-pro 30# braid main line (on top of 12# mono backer) with a 30 foot 10# clear flourocarbon leader spooled on a size 30 reel. The backer is joined to the mainline with a uni-uni knot. The leader knot is the Alberto Knot. The hook is tied with a Palomar (of course for the tagline to attach the weight.)

The Alberto Knot failed after three days of use (maybe a hundred casts). I use the Alberto because tying the FG Knot is too hard.

I don't recommend this set-up. I don't recommend using leaders. Find a good line that you can cast without using a leader. I use clear line.

Edit to say: I just tied on 8 pound Invisix to the braid using the FG knot. I tied the braid to my belt loop to keep tension and it worked out OK.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The best place to practice knots is in the living room, not on the water. When I feel the need to learn a new knot, I'll tie it a bunch of times while watching TV. When you can tie the knot in dim light while half paying attention to the ED commercials, then it's time to try it out for actually fishing. Don't use a real hook because that can lead to issues you don't want. A paperclip works well. And yes I believe line color makes a difference. I've seen fish flare away from hi-vis braid tied directly to a lure and then caught the same fish on the same lure when I switched to flouro or added a flouro leader. That was in super clear water. If the water is murky or really stained I imagine it makes less of a difference. The type of fishing you're doing will also influence whether line color/size makes a difference to catching. If the fish truly didn't care about line visibility, do you think the guys that make a living fishing would ever use say 8 lb fluorocarbon? Or even lighter test ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for feedbak NJ, but given that i fish live baits i dont think the fish will mind. This seems to be the equivalent of precision barrel break in on the fishing industry :p

I am going full orange mono with clear mono on other side of swivel, if i regret it i will update this :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i backed out of that one and went 30# mono clear on my 12# Reel, man i can almost cast my entire reel out :damnit:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't like flouro leaders. I tried to drop-shot this morning and I caught zero fish on the drop-shot. I use moss green power-pro 30# braid main line (on top of 12# mono backer) with a 30 foot 10# clear flourocarbon leader spooled on a size 30 reel. The backer is joined to the mainline with a uni-uni knot. The leader knot is the Alberto Knot. The hook is tied with a Palomar (of course for the tagline to attach the weight.)

The Alberto Knot failed after three days of use (maybe a hundred casts). I use the Alberto because tying the FG Knot is too hard.

I don't recommend this set-up. I don't recommend using leaders. Find a good line that you can cast without using a leader. I use clear line.

Edit to say: I just tied on 8 pound Invisix to the braid using the FG knot. I tied the braid to my belt loop to keep tension and it worked out OK.
You're doing something wrong then, Jeremy. I've been using braid w/ the fluoro leader and tying an Alberto Knot for drop-shotting for almost 3 years now, and the only issues I've ever had I can positively contribute to my own error and carelessness. There is a reason why the majority of the Bassmaster Elite Series field is using this set-up. Anyone who knows me knows that my clients and I use a drop-shot rig and other finesse rigs with this set-up a lot. Off the top of my head reading your post, you mentioned it broke after 3 days. I never trust a knot from a previous fishing trip. After knots get wet and then dry for a day or two, they start to weaken. This may be part of your problem.

Back to the topic at hand, IMO, line color doesn't matter, and most all of the finesse-gurus on the Bassmaster Elite Series (i.e. guys like Aaron Martens) have shared this same opinion. This has been a much debated topic on this site and opinions will vary. I believe line SIZE and TYPE does matter... but not color. Line size and type will greatly affect the action of your baits which will affect the number of bites you get. Guys always recount times when downsizing their line or switching from high-vis braid to fluorocarbon started getting them more bites in clear water. Down-sizing your line allows your baits to have a much more free-flowing, natural-falling action. Light line is thinner and more limp so it allows things such as a drop-shot rig, to dance around much more freely and to fall much more naturally (smaller diameter line so less resistance in the water). Switching from braid to fluorocarbon changes the action of your bait tremendously. Braid floats, fluorocarbon sinks. Braid is also noisy coming through cover. If you are using a bait that sinks with braid, since braid wants to float, it is going to totally change how your bait is sinking compared to fluoro. Fluoro sinks with your bait. Braid will pull the bait toward you as it sinks, unless you are say, flipping with something exceptionally heavy like a 1 oz weight.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Line color, swivels, and knots...oh my

Just kidding. Line size is the only thing that has really changed my numbers. I think Ander mentioned it in his dropshot video. I have been using only one knot. I don't know the name. I think it is the palomar knot

I have blue line, clear line, green line, and brown line (for Austin). Last time I fished it wasn't the color of line that made a difference but the sound of the lure. Not sure if Ander has done a video on the different sounds a lure will produce. From the tiny bbs to the larger bbs inside or the right plopping noise the lure produces. That is the biggest difference in catching I have seen oh yeah along with size of line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts