Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes things just work out. My work calls had all been moved to the afternoon and I wanted to get up early and be on the water by sunrise. But our grandson had an ear infection and was staying with us. Momma has to work early in the morning so I was not going out. But wait - hospital called and she is free for the day and I am on the water moving water (I don't have a prop on my yak so I can't be making turns like Jeremy) over to Lick Creek a little before 6. I can't swear I threw everything in my tackle at them but I am certain it was pretty close. I worked up the bank on one side and back down the other. Worked 6 feet of water to 28 feet of water. My Garmin said there were fish present but apparently that didn't get the memo about today's plan. By 9:30 I have managed to hook into 3 fish, none of which stayed on the line long enough to see. Time to head back home. As I cleared the mouth of the creek and began to head under the bridge my Garmin showed a large school of fish in about 16-19' of water. I dropped a marker and went back upwind. I anchored myself within easy casting distance and started with a TR worm. Next was a drop shot rig but with the same results. I grabbed another rod and begun tossing a Strike King swim jig (1/4 oz. Smokey Shad colored). Bingo. Fish on. Over the next 20 minutes I boated 12 LMB bass - some dinks but a couple 1-2 lb range.
And sometimes things don't work out. Who knew we were supposed to get rain??? A lot of rain? Hard rain? The wind began picking up but I was close enough that it was not effecting my casting but I should have been paying more attention because the skies opened up and I was getting soaked. I looked to the heavens wondering why this school could not have been another 30 yards down river (under the bridge and dry for those of us in yaks) before hauling up and moving water hard for the ramp. By the time I got to shore and secured everything for the long 7 minute drive home I was soaked. The rains let up as I was uploading and I thought about going back out but then the downpour started back up.
I was really not too happy that my trip had been rained on until God reminded me:
I wasn't even supposed to out this morning
I had beaten the water to no avail for almost 4 hours
I caught fish and had a blast doing it
I enjoy fishing and being on the water no matter what the action is

Take the time you have an enjoy it. A wise man once said "In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years."

Keep your lines tight and have a blessed day!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I’ve been using the marker bouy more frequently, too. I haven’t yet tied on the swim-jig.

Very nice report. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made these markers using PvC pipe about 7 years ago when I started fishing from a yak. Got out of the habit some time ago and dont remember the last time I used them. They I saw your post and almost did a head slap. Makes it so much easier to direct your casts to a specific area when there is nothing but open water to focus on. I found that it also helped me chose where to drop anchor so that I was heading in the perfect direction as well. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts