Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of y’all know I am selling my current boat and moving over to the bassboat style of vessel.

What can current Tracker Owners tell me about their boats?

I am lookin at the 175 Pro Team or a similar sized Tracker. Want it to be small enough to launch solo and still be fuel efficient. Im thinking 17ft and 60 4 stroke will be my ceiling or close to it

Just wanted to get a discussion going to ID some Tracker owners, probably jump onto Ricks again here soon before I head to Tracker Marine.

Also can anyone speak to the benefit of buying new vs used? I am tempted to buy new just so I can have the peace of mind of warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That's how I started...17' aluminum with 60HP 4-stroke. I looked at the G3, the Basstracker, the Alumacraft and ultimately chose the Crestliner VT-17. For me it came down between the Tracker and the Crestliner. I went with the Crestliner because they made a great deal as they were just introducing that brand to replace what was the Triton VT-17 before. The Crestliner is all aluminum with no wood. It had an upgraded trolling motor and electronics. And lastly because it had a galvanized trailer and I put mine in the salt. I chose new for the same reasons you mentioned and would probably do the same again. I would have had no problem choosing the Tracker but the Crestliner was just a better deal. I put 120 hours on that boat in 2 years, did not have a single problem and sold it two years later for 75% of what I paid for it. Wind was always an issue for me as the boat is light and gets blown around easily. I also learned that I liked salt water fishing enough to warrant a bay boat. But I really miss the ease at which I could just hitch up from my garage and head to the lake. Now I have to go pick up the boat and return it to storage every time I go. That adds a minimum hour to my round-trip each outing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got a buddy looking to sell his 2008 Tracker 190 with 90hp Merc. A lot more room than the 17' you are looking at. Located in Georgetown. I can send you his info if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No experience with either, but you could use this one in both freshwater and the salt. My next boat will definitely be one that can be used at the coast without fear of completely trashing it.

Bay 18 - Coastal Fishing Boat | G3 Boats
I'd love that boat but I don't want to catch myself in the situation again of having a salt boat but never going to the salt. I think I'll go bass boat style for the storage

Reactions: jlemaux

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can launch a 21 ft VESSEL solo as well, more room to party.
True but I'm also in the market for a house and want to be able to keep this in my garage and eliminate the storage dealio

Reactions: Fuzz

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
BB I have a fully rigged aluminum boat ready to be sold.

1994 16 1/2 ft Smokercraft 161 ProMag
1994 90hp Mariner w/stainless prop(runs 40mph) equal compression across
Trailer with swing away tongue. Boat fits in those 19' garages. I was lied to. Not everything is big in Texas.
side console with vertical rod storage (also has lockable rod storage on sides)
HB 998
I-Pilot
SuperNovas
Bimini top
Ladder
Two bases for down riggers
one down rigger (other one is in Lake Georgetown)
Gobee spot light w/remote
Great storage all throughout. you will never need another tackle bag
am/fm stereo with cd and aux connection for Iphone

Ok, our next boat will most likely be the tracker targa 18 deep-v. If I had a truck to pull a Targa we would already own one. Our current boat is a deep V and I love it. I have never had a wave over my bow even on Wake Austin. If you get aluminum go with the deepest V for a better ride. Get the longest boat you can in your price range too. Good luck with your search

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What year on the hull and motor?

pics?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I believe, as usual, John is correct. Sometimes when car/boat salesman talk about trade in, they will kinda skip over the part about if you save $325.00 in sales tax by taking 2K less for trading it in then you would get for selling it, you've actually lost $1675.00.

If you have a chance to sell it...I firmly believe you're better off doing that.

cash is king and it's one less thing to negotiate about.

That boat is sweet...I wish I was buying it. Someone is going to get a heck of a deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have fished out of a 175 pro, it's surprisingly well laid out and is a great little rig. Plenty of front deck room. I will be making a purchase
Soon, The only thing stopping me from snagging one up is the small outboard issue. Not sure what they are rated for but it would be a lot better with at Least 100hp. I

1 - 20 of 45 Posts