Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Body of Water: Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake)
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Water Conditions: Clear 5-7ft
Date(s) Fished: 6/21/09

Details of Trip:
Launched behind AHS at about 6:15. Started off throwing a waker and hooked a fatty about 10 mins into my trip. My rod doubled over and she stripped some drag and then she was gone. Could have been a striper, but not sure b/c I have never caught one. Continued up towards Barton Springs. Had one more hit on the waker then i got to the grass bed at BS. Switched over to a Spro frog. Had two pretty quick hits on the frog and missed them both. Went all the way up and fished the Lamar st bridge with a jig, but no takers. Fished in the general area of the bridge for a while and had one slap the spinnerbait I was throwing but missed it too. On my way back in, I stopped to pitch up in this lay down with a jig. After a few flips and pitches i hooked another fatty. I could tell right off the bat, that this was a nice fish. After just a few seconds of fighting her....she was gone. 5 bites all day and I missed every one. Oh well I guess it was just one of those days. Off the water by 10:15 am.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4D7E71787A6D404D28281F0 said:
Were you fishing with Mono? If you had braid, you would of set the hook better...

Thanks for sharing! Still sounds like a nice day!

Robert

My Jig rod is set up w/ 65 lb braid and a 35lb flourocarbond leader. Overkill maybe, but have not had one break me off yet. Did have mono on the rod I was throwing the waker on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
maybe you used to heavy of line,mono stretches and maybe wouldn't of let you pull the hook free as does happens with braid.horsing a fish with braid is a no-no,ripped lips and straitened hooks,just because its superline doesn't mean you dont have to use your drag.being you said you have never broke it,this might be y you are losing so many.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1533203728322924202D32410 said:
Only thing worse is when they jump and you see how big it is and then it gets off the hook! (recently happened to me on LBL)
The only thing worse than that is when they jump, you see how big the fish is, and they get off the hook taking your best crank bait with them (Pearl/Chartreuse Bomber 300 series.) I'm more mad at myself for probably killing this fish (the crank was double hooked in the fish's mouth) than for actually losing the crank. I'm upgrading to braided, my mono is junk.

P.S. What knot do you guys prefer for crankbaits?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.