Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Lady Bird for the first time on Sunday. What a great lake!

Boated 12 fish up to 4 pounds.  All caught on 10" Berkley Power Worms, Watermelon Candy,Texas rigged with  1/2 oz bullet weight. The bigger ones were in the grass at 10 feet  and the dinks were around the bridge pilings. Fished  from 35 bridge to Congress bridge and back.

I have stayed off this lake due to launching and trailering issues, but it was easy to push off my Ranger and recover with a rope from the launch at Holly st.   It was almost easy with out the wake from passing boats. I beached it without fear of wakeboats passing and swamping it.

Only stayed 12-3 pm, but I intend to fish this water more often. It has more trees,stumps,and rocks for structure than LA. I also found it easier to fish with Kayakers than the Wakeboarders.

No pics until I can figure out how to set the timer on the new camera.

BIG_UN

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left my motor down but never started it. I did plan to use it if necessary to load, but the ramp is shallow and I walked in enough to get it on by hand.

I have never read the regs on this lake, but I do know the rowers have the right of way and they will explain the RULES OF THE ROAD if you do not already know them from the LA water cops.

I also did not turn on my electronics. I will pay more attention next time. I only have a single 12 volt 55 lb, so I went easy on my charge.
After, my battery gauge read 3/4 full.  Good for 3 hrs.

BIG_UN

·
Registered
689 Posts
Fishing Regulations

Lady Bird Lake has the following special regulations:

* Largemouth bass are subject to a 14-21 inch slot limit. Bass between 14 and 21 inches must be immediately released. Anglers may keep up to five bass per day; only one of those can be greater than 21 inches in length.
   * For common carp, an angler may keep only one fish per day that measures 33 inches or more. There is no daily bag limit on carp less than 33 inches.

All other fishes are managed under statewide regulations.

Outboard motors are not allowed on this lake, but anglers may use electric trolling motors.

source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/lady_bird/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That 8lbr I got in LA last week(Posted by RANGERBOB) was at 11:30 in 3ft of water during high sun and high seas. The fish will eat if you find them.

Check the flow schedule from LCRA..  They are releasing water 12-8 daily on LBL. The bite always turns on in the first  few hours of flow in LA, so I  thought maybe the same was true for LBL.

An overcast day coupled with noon flow. Seemed like a good time to try LBL. There was a slight breeze. It did not get over 90, and the few times the sun popped out I was under the bridges.  

I did see one other guy on my way out, he said he took a few big ones earlier and was going to return for an evening trip. I did not get his name.

Next time I will get someone from the bank to take pics.

BIG_UN

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks, it's always nice to get another factor in your arsonal. The wife and I went Sat 6am -- 3 pm. We kayaked down to the south end from I-35 but besides a large black that tried to eat my frog in the cattails we caught nothing. We were trolling white spinner baits and big lip cranks. We pulled up to the island on the south side and saw some nice blacks in 3 ft of water. I threw all kinds of colors at them but they would just look at it and swim away. Maybe I should try worms. I hear that minnows or smal pearch under a cork work well to.

Marshall

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gotta go on record with Big 'Un on the flow.

I fish redbud quite a lot and the best luck has always been right when the gates open. Used to be around 8am before the drought. Vbay caught a beeeeuuuuaaatiful 5lb LMB on a chartreuse deep diver right under the bridge off the main island.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.