Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the yak back in the water. Started padding at 7am from Red Bud Isle, water was very calm, slightly stained and very little wind. Not too many other yaks or bank anglers. Bit of a rough day not too many bites, hooked 4 and all 4 broke my line, 6 lb mono leader, 10lb braid (maybe knot failed), 10lb mono leader and 12lb flouro leader. One was in heavy wood so that makes some sense. My working theory is that LBL LMB have gotten a hold of switchblades. Still a theory, but I am sure the proof is forthcoming. Those hook sets were on a drop shot, child rig, ned rig and TR yum dinger in a blue gill color. Threw the disco violet fluke around but no takers, my fluke game is pretty weak. Also threw a frog early in the morning and no bites. Off at 10:45.

JT

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dang, I knew something was going on. Who knew those bass were arming themselves. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting your next report JC. In the mean time I am going to be looking for those silver flashes as well. Great report btw.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my experience regular mono is too soft to be used as a leader with braid. I now use only fluoro or mono leader material which is designed for that purpose. Two cents.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Longhorn314, thanks for the input. I will look into that.
NoYes, I get your point and sometimes I tend to agree with you. However, I really like how braid casts and a lot of the time I'm fishing LBL and water clarity is great which makes me think the fish can see my green braid. I may experiment with no leader again.

JT

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Going by the high number of discarded syringes in Lady Bird, its clear that the broken lines indicate the bass are “juicing”.

More likely is nicks from Zebra Mussels, most likely is knot failure. I agree with NoYes and you should forego the leader and see what happens.

I use the FG knot, the best braid to flouro leader knot.

For terminal tackle, Double Uni for braid, Palomar for mono and G-man’s Down on the Farm Knot for flouro.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeremy, great advice as always. I will try no leader, once my leaders are lost. I think Zebra Mussels are a maybe. I was in MN for 2 weeks and fished 3-5 hrs/day most days and did not have this issue. The lake I was on had no zebra mussels. I missed a few fish but different reasons.

I am mostly a Uni knot guy with some Palomar thrown in. I could not learn the FG, so I am now experimenting with the GT for braid to mono/flouro.

Thanks to all.

JT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts