Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulled up to a deserted Holiday Inn ramp at 6:00am. I’m done hoisting a stern lantern before sunrise. Safe light is easy, this lake is lit up like a stadium from the downtown lights. I launched and trolled across to the Butler trail under I-35. I drifted with the morning breeze and caught two small bass, one on senko one on crankbait.

Last night, I tuned up my rods. I cut off the Kraken SP-1 spinnerbait. Thanks to BassinAg’s posts, I tied on a white Sixth Sense swim-jig. I struggle with the trailer selection for jigs. I rooted around in my surplus of soft plastics and found a pack of Strike King green pumpkin chunks. Hope this works.

I cast out the swim-jig towards the trail. I slowly reeled and caressed the tips of the witchheads. The jig was thumped, so I reeled down and r’ared back. My rod bent double, this was a better fish. Five cranks of the reel handle and a yawning five-pounder broached and soared. My jig pulled loose and sling-shot over my shoulder. Ever the dramatist, I collapsed groaning and writhing on the deck. Double doh!

I’m with you JT, these Bird bass will break your heart. I had to shake that off, so I drifted down the bank working the shoreline with soft plastics. Yesterday, I could not get bit on Texas-rig. Today, they wouldn’t leave it alone. I caught nine small bass on TR 10.5” and 8” ribbon tail worms.

So far my only contact with protests has been seeing APD HQ barricaded and the graffiti left on the 35 jersey barriers. Today, I got to hear ‘em too.

On several trips out here, my ears have been preyed on by a vocal prognosticator who preaches across the water to the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue. Y’all might have seen him before. I think Alex Jones gave him a bull horn today, because I heard him broadcasting from Congress Bridge. He was going on about mask mandates are government overreach.

Next came the sound of high performance four cylinder motorcycle engines rapped tight against the rev limiter. I looked up at Congress and saw a motorcycle parade. At first I thought it might be a impromptu ROT rally parade (because I go watch it almost every year). But then I saw the lead bike was flying a large Black Lives Matter flag. Lots of cars were honking in solidarity. Me, too.

I didn’t think it could get windier than yesterday. Boy was I wrong. Only a few hardy paddleboarders even tried. I caught one last fish under Congress and headed in. Off at 1:00pm.
6E412985-AC07-4B08-90CB-44C33A93E2C0.jpeg 2B039082-1923-4EEA-A0F0-5B1175F0482B.jpeg

·
Registered
317 Posts
If he doesn't get a bite in a dozen cast he will change it up. He knows there are fish there and is trying to find the magic bait/color. Trust we, we both do it. Sometimes we are lucky and find that one something that works early on and I am more willing to stick with it longer..

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I realized when I wrote the post that it begged the question. Just like Todd explained, I continued to cast the swim-jig under the trail until I got to the end of the elevated portion, as it were, around a dozen casts.

After the trail was a flat that was covered with snot grass (filamentous algae). My strategy at this point was soft plastics. 1/4 oz TR Ol‘ Monster along the outside edge of the angel hair and drag it back. 3/16 oz TR Megatail inbetween the witchheads. 1/4 oz drop-shot Roboworm to wood in the algae.

Between flats, I’d throw the swim-jig to the steeper banks like the one near the Statesman.

As the wind was gusting to thirty plus, I fished vertically with 3/8oz drop-shot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great report and thinks for giving some more insight on lures and technique. It seems I may be sticking to my pregame plan too long.

JT

·
Registered
126 Posts
What a sad turn this fishing report has taken. Shirtless Jeremy on a paddle board - the terror of LBL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts